URW Fonts Description in Installation and Administration Manual

URW Fonts Description in Installation and Administration Manual

Dario Strbenac-2
Good day,

In section A.2, the manual advises "Linux users will want the urw-fonts package". However, this package only seems to be available for RedHat Linux and Fedora Linux. What about for Debian or Ubuntu ? There is no urw-fonts package for them. Are there any other packages not mentioned that are important for these two distributions ?

Re: URW Fonts Description in Installation and Administration Manual

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 30 December 2015 at 05:00, Dario Strbenac wrote:
| Good day,
|
| In section A.2, the manual advises "Linux users will want the urw-fonts package". However, this package only seems to be available for RedHat Linux and Fedora Linux. What about for Debian or Ubuntu ? There is no urw-fonts package for them. Are there any other packages not mentioned that are important for these two distributions ?

edd@max:~$ apt-cache search urw | grep texlive
texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts
texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts
edd@max:~$

Both packages list URW fonts promimently in their Description:

Dirk

Re: URW Fonts Description in Installation and Administration Manual

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte-2

On Wed, 30-12-2015, at 12:44, Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 30 December 2015 at 05:00, Dario Strbenac wrote:
> | Good day,
> |
> | In section A.2, the manual advises "Linux users will want the urw-fonts package". However, this package only seems to be available for RedHat Linux and Fedora Linux. What about for Debian or Ubuntu ? There is no urw-fonts package for them. Are there any other packages not mentioned that are important for these two distributions ?
>
> edd@max:~$ apt-cache search urw | grep texlive
> texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts
> texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts
> edd@max:~$

Humm... on a Debian system (mix of unstable and testing) that shows
nothing.  But

ramon@Bufo:~$ apt-cache search urw | grep tex
fonts-texgyre - OpenType fonts based on URW Fonts
tex-gyre - scalable PostScript and OpenType fonts based on URW Fonts
python-urwid-satext - collection of urwid widgets
ramon@Bufo:~$

shows two possibly relevant packages.

(Maybe this is a Ubuntu/Debian difference? I think Dirk has some machines
running Ubuntu).

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25

Phone: +34-91-497-2412

Email: [hidden email]
       [hidden email]

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

On 30 December 2015 at 20:07, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

| On Wed, 30-12-2015, at 12:44, Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > On 30 December 2015 at 05:00, Dario Strbenac wrote:
| > | Good day,
| > |
| > | In section A.2, the manual advises "Linux users will want the urw-fonts package". However, this package only seems to be available for RedHat Linux and Fedora Linux. What about for Debian or Ubuntu ? There is no urw-fonts package for them. Are there any other packages not mentioned that are important for these two distributions ?
| >
| > edd@max:~$ apt-cache search urw | grep texlive
| > texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts
| > texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts
| > edd@max:~$
|
| Humm... on a Debian system (mix of unstable and testing) that shows
| nothing.

Really? I just fired up Docker instance with Debian 8.2 and saw it there, also

  https://packages.debian.org/sid/texlive-fonts-recommended
  https://packages.debian.org/sid/texlive-fonts-extra

has it.  Otherwise, agreed that a search for URW reveals more
packages. Methinks this issue is specific to Dario's setup...

Dirk

On Wed, 30-12-2015, at 21:08, Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 December 2015 at 20:07, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

> | > |

> | > edd@max:~$ apt-cache search urw | grep texlive
> | > texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts
> | > texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts
> | > edd@max:~$
> |
> | Humm... on a Debian system (mix of unstable and testing) that shows
> | nothing.
>
> Really? I just fired up Docker instance with Debian 8.2 and saw it there, also
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/sid/texlive-fonts-recommended
>   https://packages.debian.org/sid/texlive-fonts-extra
>
> has it.  Otherwise, agreed that a search for URW reveals more

Yes, that is true. But I tried on another testing+unstable system and still

apt-cache search urw | grep texlive

gives me nothing.

> packages. Methinks this issue is specific to Dario's setup...

And mine might also be kind of strange :-). Oh well.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25
Facultad de Medicina
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
Arzobispo Morcillo, 4
28029 Madrid
Spain

Phone: +34-91-497-2412

Email: [hidden email]
       [hidden email]

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

Re: URW Fonts Description in Installation and Administration Manual

Dario Strbenac-2
Good day,

They are also found by my search.

~$ apt-cache search urw | grep texlive
texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts
texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts
~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        8.2