Unable to load .rda file

Subhamoy Chakraborty
Dear All,

Here is the error that I am encountering :-

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_IN       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=en_IN
 [4] LC_COLLATE=en_IN     LC_MONETARY=en_IN    LC_MESSAGES=en_IN
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_IN       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

> load("onlyTN.rda")
Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data
loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file ‘onlyTN.rda’ has magic number 'RDX3'
  Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated

Can someone please help me  ?

Thank you,
Subhamoy

Re: Unable to load .rda file

Jeff Newmiller
You desperately need to upgrade both your operating system and your version of R. If the rda file was transmitted to you from someone else then that will most likely fix your problem.

On October 15, 2019 2:19:14 AM PDT, Subhamoy Chakraborty <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Here is the error that I am encountering :-
>
>> sessionInfo()
>R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06)
>Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
>
>locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_IN       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=en_IN
> [4] LC_COLLATE=en_IN     LC_MONETARY=en_IN    LC_MESSAGES=en_IN
> [7] LC_PAPER=en_IN       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
>[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
>attached base packages:
>[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>
>> load("onlyTN.rda")
>Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data
>loaded
>In addition: Warning message:
>file ‘onlyTN.rda’ has magic number 'RDX3'
>  Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>>

>Can someone please help me  ?
>
>Thank you,
>Subhamoy

Re: Unable to load .rda file

R help mailing list-2

> On Oct 15, 2019, at 5:19 AM, Subhamoy Chakraborty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> Here is the error that I am encountering :-
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
> Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_IN       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=en_IN
> [4] LC_COLLATE=en_IN     LC_MONETARY=en_IN    LC_MESSAGES=en_IN
> [7] LC_PAPER=en_IN       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
> [10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>
>> load("onlyTN.rda")
> Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data
> loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> file ‘onlyTN.rda’ has magic number 'RDX3'
>  Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>>

> Can someone please help me  ?
>
> Thank you,
> Subhamoy

Hi,

You need to upgrade your version of R to at least 3.5.0, preferably newer, which is presumably the version under which the data file was saved.

Note from news(), under 3.6.1, in the section regarding SIGNIFICANT USER-VISIBLE CHANGES for 3.6.0:

Serialization format version 3 becomes the default for serialization and saving of the workspace (save(), serialize(), saveRDS(), compiler::cmpfile()). Serialized data in format 3 cannot be read by versions of R prior to version 3.5.0. Serialization format version 2 is still supported and can be selected by version = 2 in the save/serialization functions. The default can be changed back for the whole R session by setting environment variables R_DEFAULT_SAVE_VERSION and R_DEFAULT_SERIALIZE_VERSION to 2. For maximal back-compatibility, files ‘vignette.rds’ and ‘partial.rdb’ generated by R CMD build are in serialization format version 2, and resave by default produces files in serialization format version 2 (unless the original is already in format version 3).

Regards,

Marc Schwartz