Use of MathJax (or something similar) in .Rd files

Use of MathJax (or something similar) in .Rd files

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
Hello All,

I am wondering if there has ever been any discussion/consideration given to incorporating MathJax (or something similar) into R for rendering equations in .Rd files. I know that equations are rendered beautifully in the pdf manuals, but I suspect the majority of users primarily look at the html help files when using R. While I am comfortable reading something like "B_x(a,b) = integral_0^x t^(a-1) (1-t)^(b-1) dt", it would definitely be nicer if this was shown as a 'proper' equation.

Best,
Wolfgang

Re: Use of MathJax (or something similar) in .Rd files

Gábor Csárdi
You can probably already do this using the \if{html} conditional, and
either including the matchjax js files in the package, or getting them
from a CDN.

Gabor

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:13 AM Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am wondering if there has ever been any discussion/consideration given to incorporating MathJax (or something similar) into R for rendering equations in .Rd files. I know that equations are rendered beautifully in the pdf manuals, but I suspect the majority of users primarily look at the html help files when using R. While I am comfortable reading something like "B_x(a,b) = integral_0^x t^(a-1) (1-t)^(b-1) dt", it would definitely be nicer if this was shown as a 'proper' equation.
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang

Re: Use of MathJax (or something similar) in .Rd files

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
Interesting. I gave this a try, but couldn't make this work. One would have to infuse something like

<script id="MathJax-script" async
  src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js">
</script>

or

<script id="MathJax-script" async
  src="<url-to-your-site>/mathjax/tex-chtml.js">
</script>

into the .html file, but just adding this to the .Rd file (directly or wrapped with \if{html}{}) doesn't do that (it just gets printed). If somebody has already successfully done this, I would be interested in hearing how.

Best,
Wolfgang

Duncan Murdoch-2
This sounds promising.

Also remember that user-defined macros are possible, so even if you need
a lot of contortions to enter the code, you can simplify it at the Rd level.

Duncan Murdoch

On 30/04/2020 6:15 a.m., Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wrote:

> Interesting. I gave this a try, but couldn't make this work. One would have to infuse something like
>
> <script id="MathJax-script" async
>    src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js">
> </script>
>
> or
>
> <script id="MathJax-script" async
>    src="<url-to-your-site>/mathjax/tex-chtml.js">
> </script>
>
> into the .html file, but just adding this to the .Rd file (directly or wrapped with \if{html}{}) doesn't do that (it just gets printed). If somebody has already successfully done this, I would be interested in hearing how.

You'd need to wrap that code in \out (inside the conditional, i.e.
something like

\if{html}{\out{<script id="MathJax-script" async
src="<url-to-your-site>/mathjax/tex-chtml.js"></script>}}

Duncan Murdoch

> Best,
> Wolfgang

Thanks Gabor and Duncan! It works. For those interested, I added this to the beginning of the \details{} section:

\if{html}{\out{
<script id="MathJax-script" async
   src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js">
</script>
}}

And then I can use:

\if{html}{\out{\(B_{x(a,b)} = \int_0^x t^{a-1} (1-t)^{b-1} dt\)}}

or

\if{html}{\out{\[B_{x(a,b)} = \int_0^x t^{a-1} (1-t)^{b-1} dt\]}}

to render the equation (inline or as 'displaymath'). I'll try to add MathJax locally next.

Best,
Wolfgang

Ravi Varadhan-2
Thank you.  This is a very useful idea!

Best,

Ravi

________________________________
Thanks Gabor and Duncan! It works. For those interested, I added this to the beginning of the \details{} section:

\if{html}{\out{
<script id="MathJax-script" async
   src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js">
</script>
}}

And then I can use:

\if{html}{\out{\(B_{x(a,b)} = \int_0^x t^{a-1} (1-t)^{b-1} dt\)}}

or

\if{html}{\out{\[B_{x(a,b)} = \int_0^x t^{a-1} (1-t)^{b-1} dt\]}}

to render the equation (inline or as 'displaymath'). I'll try to add MathJax locally next.

Best,
Wolfgang

Hi All,

After some tinkering, and with support from Duncan, I put together a package that allows for easy inclusion of MathJax equations in Rd files. The package has been submitted to CRAN, but those who want to try this out already can get it here:

https://github.com/wviechtb/mathjaxr

or in other words:

install.packages("remotes")
remotes::install_github("wviechtb/mathjaxr")

Package authors can then use the \loadmathjax macro to enable its use and the \mjeqn{latex}{ascii} and \mjdeqn{latex}{ascii} macros for including inline and displayed equations.

Feedback and suggestions more than welcome!

Best,
Wolfgang

The package is really nice, I recommend it.  Package writers should
install it, but users of their help pages don't need it unless they're
working offline.  Even then, because of the way MathJax works, they get
something that's fairly readable, e.g.

"The probability density function of a normal distribution is given by
\[f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma}
e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)^2},\] where \(\mu\)
denotes the mean of the distribution and \(\sigma\) its standard deviation."

For a user who is online, or who has the mathjaxr package installed,
this would be displayed with the equation as a display equation, and mu
and sigma displayed properly inline.  To obtain that output I used this
input in an Rd file:

"The probability density function of a normal distribution is given by
\mjdeqn{f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma}
e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)^2},}{f(x) = 1/(sqrt(2
pi) sigma) e^-((x - mu)^2/(2 sigma^2)),} where \mjeqn{\mu}{mu} denotes
the mean of the distribution and \mjeqn{\sigma}{sigma} its standard
deviation."

A frill that might be possible to add would be a test for a remote
connection, and a fallback to the ascii display if it's not there.  It
already has a display-time test for the presence of the MathJax files
locally.

Maybe once all the kinks are worked out this could be incorporated into
the R distribution.  However, it's not really needed there, since it
works so well as a contributed package already.

Duncan Murdoch