Using DBI and RMySQL

Indrajit Sen Gupta
Dear All,
I am having a bit of problem using the DBI and RMySQL
package. I have already installed DBI but now I want
to connect to MySQL. So how do I do it. The CRAN
package repository does not have RMySQL windows binary
to install from?

Regards,

Indrajit Sen Gupta
Business Analyst
Mu Sigma Business Solutions Pvt Ltd
#21/1-1, Nawab Towers
Cunningham Road
Bangalore 560 052, India
Tel: +91 80 5123 2551
Fax: +91 80 5123 8853
Mob: +91 98807 54816
[hidden email]
www.mu-sigma.com

Re: Using DBI and RMySQL

Robert Citek

On May 9, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Indrajit Sengupta wrote:
> I am having a bit of problem using the DBI and RMySQL
> package. I have already installed DBI but now I want
> to connect to MySQL. So how do I do it. The CRAN
> package repository does not have RMySQL windows binary
> to install from?

A while ago I setup a simple MySQL database, installed R, installed
DBI and RMySQL, and ran a sample query.  You can find my notes here:

http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?RMySQL

HTH.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Re: Using DBI and RMySQL

Indrajit Sen Gupta
Did you create RMySQL windows binary in the process?
Can you share it with me?

Regards,
Indrajit

--- Robert Citek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 9, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Indrajit Sengupta wrote:
> > I am having a bit of problem using the DBI and
> RMySQL
> > package. I have already installed DBI but now I
> want
> > to connect to MySQL. So how do I do it. The CRAN
> > package repository does not have RMySQL windows
> binary
> > to install from?
>
> A while ago I setup a simple MySQL database,
> installed R, installed
> DBI and RMySQL, and ran a sample query.  You can
> find my notes here:
>
> http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?RMySQL
>
> HTH.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert
> http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
> Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute
> FLOSS
> for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with
> BitTorrent

Re: Using DBI and RMySQL

Robert Citek

On May 11, 2006, at 3:09 AM, Indrajit Sengupta wrote:
> Did you create RMySQL windows binary in the process?

Sorry, but no.  This was done on Mac OS X.  And was done a while ago.

> Can you share it with me?

Wish I could, but I can't.  I don't have a Windows machine.

I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.

[1] http://knoppix.net/
[2] http://knoppix.net/wiki/
Customizing_environment_using_4.0.2CD#Persistent_Disk_Image_.28PDI.29

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Re: Using DBI and RMySQL

bogdan romocea
> I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
> run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
> the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.

Don't bother, it's been done already. See
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

Quantian (was: Using DBI and RMySQL)

Robert Citek

On May 11, 2006, at 11:47 AM, bogdan romocea wrote:

>> I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
>> run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
>> the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.
>
> Don't bother, it's been done already. See
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

I've heard of Quantian although I've never been on a system on which
I can use it.  All the x86 boxes to which I have access do not have
DVDs and Quantian will not run on my Mac, even under VPC.  That's why
I prefer using Knoppix with a PDI on a USB stick or drive.  CD-ROMs
and USB are just more common, which is important if I want to be
portable.

How is Quantian?  Has anyone here used it or is using it?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Re: Quantian (was: Using DBI and RMySQL)

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 11 May 2006 at 13:19, Robert Citek wrote:

| On May 11, 2006, at 11:47 AM, bogdan romocea wrote:
|
| >> I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
| >> run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
| >> the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.
| >
| > Don't bother, it's been done already. See
| > http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html
|
| I've heard of Quantian although I've never been on a system on which
| I can use it.  All the x86 boxes to which I have access do not have
| DVDs and Quantian will not run on my Mac, even under VPC.  That's why

The Quantian site has several short HOWTOs detailing different boot methods
which use the iso directly from the hard disk.  The Quantian mailing list may
be of help if you get stuck trying this.

As for DVDs, I almost never boot Quantian from a physical DVD. For casual
use, I really like the free-as-in-beer VMplayer which works under Linux at
home, and Windoze at work, and doesn't require a reboot.

| I prefer using Knoppix with a PDI on a USB stick or drive.  CD-ROMs
| and USB are just more common, which is important if I want to be
| portable.
|
| How is Quantian?  Has anyone here used it or is using it?

Certainly.  Consider reading back in the maling list archives which can be as
easy as one function call under R, eg

        > RSiteSearch("quantian")

just gave me 93 hits.

Hope this helps, Dirk