Using data frame col names and variables

Using data frame col names and variables

Cadmium
Hi to you all!

I'm new to R and to this mailing list, so do please excuse me if my question
sounds stupid.

Currently I'm working with a data frame called "results".

In each column of "results" I have a set of results for different
experiments  (all results are numerical) realized in different dates, so
that each row corresponds to a day.

To make it clear when displaying the results, I gave names to the columns
with the names of the experiments realized. I also gave names to the rows
based on the day the experiments where realized.

My problem now is that I'm trying to separate this experiments based on a
criteria that is not important for the moment. What I want to be able to do
is, given an experiment name, obtain the time series of the results of that
experiment.

I know I can do this by typing

results$nameoftheexperiment

But what if I have a variable "name" which contains the experiment's name?

Doing the following

results$name

doesn't work, as expected, since there is no column with name name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Re: Using data frame col names and variables

David Winsemius

On Jul 30, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Cadmium 2 wrote:

> Hi to you all!
>
> I'm new to R and to this mailing list, so do please excuse me if my
> question
> sounds stupid.
>
> Currently I'm working with a data frame called "results".
>
> In each column of "results" I have a set of results for different
> experiments  (all results are numerical) realized in different
> dates, so
> that each row corresponds to a day.
>
> To make it clear when displaying the results, I gave names to the
> columns
> with the names of the experiments realized. I also gave names to the
> rows
> based on the day the experiments where realized.
>
> My problem now is that I'm trying to separate this experiments based
> on a
> criteria that is not important for the moment. What I want to be
> able to do
> is, given an experiment name, obtain the time series of the results
> of that
> experiment.
>
> I know I can do this by typing
>
> results$nameoftheexperiment
>
> But what if I have a variable "name" which contains the experiment's
> name?
>
> Doing the following
>
> results$name
>
> doesn't work, as expected, since there is no column with name name.

Try:

results[ , name]

And read the the help page for ?Extract. The $ formalism does not
evaluate its argument whereas the [ function does.

--
David.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much!