Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser

Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser

Ranjan Maitra
Dear colleagues,

I am trying to get someone to use R on MS Windows with the browser
disabled. My question is how does he/she get to use R-help which goes
off the browser (and correspondingly complains about the inability to
start firefox, etc). In linux, which is what I use, this is not a
problem: what needs to be set in Windows to replicate this behavior?

Sorry if I am not clear: please feel free to ask me for clarifications.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Re: Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser

Jonathan P Daily
try:

options(help_type = 'text')
?options

If this works, you can create a site profile (A default is created
automatically in windows, if I remember correctly) where you can set this
to run in each session.
--------------------------------------
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly

From:
Ranjan Maitra <[hidden email]>
To:
R-help <[hidden email]>
Date:
04/12/2011 01:56 PM
Subject:
[R] Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser
Sent by:
[hidden email]

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to get someone to use R on MS Windows with the browser
disabled. My question is how does he/she get to use R-help which goes
off the browser (and correspondingly complains about the inability to
start firefox, etc). In linux, which is what I use, this is not a
problem: what needs to be set in Windows to replicate this behavior?

Sorry if I am not clear: please feel free to ask me for clarifications.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Re: Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser [SOLVED]

Ranjan Maitra
Hi,

Just wanted to mention that this worked perfectly.

Many thanks again and best wishes,
Ranjan

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:04:14 -0500 Jonathan P Daily <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> try:
>
> options(help_type = 'text')
> ?options
>
> If this works, you can create a site profile (A default is created
> automatically in windows, if I remember correctly) where you can set this
> to run in each session.
> --------------------------------------
> Jonathan P. Daily
> Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
> 11649 Leetown Road
> Kearneysville WV, 25430
> (304) 724-4480
> "Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
>  the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
>      - Jubal Early, Firefly
>

> From:
> Ranjan Maitra <[hidden email]>
> To:
> R-help <[hidden email]>
> Date:
> 04/12/2011 01:56 PM
> Subject:
> [R] Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser
> Sent by:
> [hidden email]
>

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am trying to get someone to use R on MS Windows with the browser
> disabled. My question is how does he/she get to use R-help which goes
> off the browser (and correspondingly complains about the inability to
> start firefox, etc). In linux, which is what I use, this is not a
> problem: what needs to be set in Windows to replicate this behavior?
>
> Sorry if I am not clear: please feel free to ask me for clarifications.
>
> Thanks again for the helpful advice!
>
> Best wishes,
> Ranjan

Re: Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser [SOLVED]

cpoirier
Dear Ranjan,

I'm afraid the command "options(help_type = 'text')" will not work if R is closed and opened again as the 'help_type' argument is set to 'html' by default in Windows (same for me).

You should better modify the 'C:/Program Files/R/R-X.XX.X/etc/Rprofile.site' file with a text editor, as it is entitled: "Things you might want to change" (and this is the case indeed!)

So move the # character in the following section from:
# set the default help type
# options(help_type="text")
 options(help_type="html")

to:

# set the default help type
 options(help_type="text")
# options(help_type="html")

and the 'help_type' argument is now definitely set to 'text' in Windows.

Hope this helps!
Clement

Re: Using help in Windows version of R with disabled browser [SOLVED]

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 28/04/2011 11:00 AM, cpoirier wrote:
> Dear Ranjan,
>
> I'm afraid the command "options(help_type = 'text')" will not work if R is
> closed and opened again as the 'help_type' argument is set to 'html' by
> default in Windows (same for me).

That's a default, but you can change it when you install R if you don't
want to find the file to edit.  A re-install that de-selects most of the
components won't delete them, so it's a quick way to change the startup
defaults.

Duncan Murdoch