What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Andrew Judson
I read this paper
<https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/Compstat-2008.pdf> and
haven't been able to find out what happened - I have seen some sporadic
mention in message groups but nothing definitive. Does anyone know?

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Peter Dalgaard-2

On 05 Aug 2016, at 06:41 , Andrew Judson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read this paper
> <https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/Compstat-2008.pdf> and
> haven't been able to find out what happened - I have seen some sporadic
> mention in message groups but nothing definitive. Does anyone know?

Presumably Ross does...

You get a hint if you go one level up and look for the newest file:

https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/New-System.pdf

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Kenny Bell-2
Why is the described system preferable to Julia?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 4:50 AM peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05 Aug 2016, at 06:41 , Andrew Judson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I read this paper
> > <https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/Compstat-2008.pdf> and
> > haven't been able to find out what happened - I have seen some sporadic
> > mention in message groups but nothing definitive. Does anyone know?
>
> Presumably Ross does...
>
> You get a hint if you go one level up and look for the newest file:
>
> https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/New-System.pdf
>

> --
> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

hadley wickham
When it was being actively worked on, it had the advantage of existing.

Hadley

http://hadley.nz

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Kenny Bell-2
Is it conceivable that Julia could be ported to use R syntax in a way that
would allow the vastly larger numbers of R programmers to seamlessly
switch? Or equivalently, could an iteration of R itself do this?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 9:00 AM Hadley Wickham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When it was being actively worked on, it had the advantage of existing.
>
> Hadley
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Kenny Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why is the described system preferable to Julia?

> and
> sporadic
> >>
> >> Presumably Ross does...
> >>
> >> You get a hint if you go one level up and look for the newest file:
> >>
> >> https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/New-System.pdf
> >>

> >> --
> >> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> >> Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
> >> Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
> >> Phone: (+45)38153501
> >> Office: A 4.23
> >> Email: [hidden email]  Priv: [hidden email]

> http://hadley.nz

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

hadley wickham
No.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Ista Zahn
But you can easily fall back to R from within Julia; see
http://juliastats.github.io/RCall.jl/latest/

On Aug 5, 2016 1:27 PM, "Hadley Wickham" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No.
>
> Hadley
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Kenny Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is it conceivable that Julia could be ported to use R syntax in a way
> that
> > would allow the vastly larger numbers of R programmers to seamlessly
> switch?
> > Or equivalently, could an iteration of R itself do this?
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 9:00 AM Hadley Wickham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> When it was being actively worked on, it had the advantage of existing.
> >>
> >> Hadley

> 2008.pdf>

> >> --
> >> http://hadley.nz
>

> --
> http://hadley.nz

Re: What happened to Ross Ihaka's proposal for a Common Lisp based R successor?

Tim Keitt-3
My latest project in R + Rcpp + RcppParallel + RcppEigen ran so fast when I
tested it, I thought it was a short-circuit. Not as clean as pure Julia but
if you like C++ its a pretty sweet environment.

(Incidentally, several of the ideas in Julia came from a discussion about
rewriting R I had with Viral many years ago. Its nice to see them come to
life.)

THK