What should I do regarding "DLL attempted to change..." warning ?

What should I do regarding "DLL attempted to change..." warning ?

Tal Galili
Hi all,

The call to:
library(rJava)

Results in the following warning massage:

Warning message:
In inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f

After some searching I found the following explanation:

> R expects all calls to DLLs (including the initializing call) to leave the
> FPU control word unchanged. Many run-time libraries reset the FPU control
> word during initialization; this will cause problems in R, and will result
> in a warning message like "DLL attempted to change FPU control word from
> 8001f to 9001f". The value 8001f that gets reported is in the format
> expected by the C library routine _controlfp; the raw value that is used
> in the FPU register is 037F.

Also with a few old discussions that explain (for a package developer) how
to avoid this.

The question is, should I, as a useR, do anything regarding this warning
massage ?

I use winXP , here is my sessionInfo()

R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rJava_0.8-3

Thanks,
Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: What should I do regarding "DLL attempted to change..." warning ?

Duncan Murdoch
On 02/04/2010 7:01 AM, Tal Galili wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The call to:
> library(rJava)
>
> Results in the following warning massage:
>
> Warning message:
> In inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>   DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f
>

> After some searching I found the following explanation:
>
>> R expects all calls to DLLs (including the initializing call) to leave the
>> FPU control word unchanged. Many run-time libraries reset the FPU control
>> word during initialization; this will cause problems in R, and will result
>> in a warning message like "DLL attempted to change FPU control word from
>> 8001f to 9001f". The value 8001f that gets reported is in the format
>> expected by the C library routine _controlfp; the raw value that is used
>> in the FPU register is 037F.
>

> Also with a few old discussions that explain (for a package developer) how
> to avoid this.
>

> The question is, should I, as a useR, do anything regarding this warning
> massage ?

It's a bug in the rJava package, so you should report it to the
maintainer of that package.

Duncan Murdoch

> I use winXP , here is my sessionInfo()
>

> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
> i386-pc-mingw32
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] rJava_0.8-3
>

> Thanks,
> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: What should I do regarding "DLL attempted to change..." warning ?

Tal Galili
Thanks Duncan and Romain,
I'll go and do that.

with regards,

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/04/2010 7:01 AM, Tal Galili wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The call to:
>> library(rJava)
>>
>> Results in the following warning massage:
>>
>> Warning message:
>> In inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>>  DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f
>>

>> After some searching I found the following explanation:
>>
>>  R expects all calls to DLLs (including the initializing call) to leave
>>> the
>>> FPU control word unchanged. Many run-time libraries reset the FPU control
>>> word during initialization; this will cause problems in R, and will
>>> result
>>> in a warning message like "DLL attempted to change FPU control word from
>>> 8001f to 9001f". The value 8001f that gets reported is in the format
>>> expected by the C library routine _controlfp; the raw value that is used
>>> in the FPU register is 037F.
>>>

>> Also with a few old discussions that explain (for a package developer) how
>> to avoid this.
>>

>> The question is, should I, as a useR, do anything regarding this warning
>> massage ?
>>

> It's a bug in the rJava package, so you should report it to the maintainer
> of that package.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> I use winXP , here is my sessionInfo()
>>

>> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
>> i386-pc-mingw32
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
>> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
>> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
>> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>>
>> other attached packages:
>> [1] rJava_0.8-3
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Tal
>>

>> ----------------Contact
>> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
>> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
>> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
>> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: What should I do regarding "DLL attempted to change..." warning ?

Prof Brian Ripley
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 02/04/2010 7:01 AM, Tal Galili wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The call to:
>> library(rJava)
>>
>> Results in the following warning massage:
>>
>> Warning message:
>> In inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>>   DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f
>>

>> After some searching I found the following explanation:
>>
>>> R expects all calls to DLLs (including the initializing call) to leave the
>>> FPU control word unchanged. Many run-time libraries reset the FPU control
>>> word during initialization; this will cause problems in R, and will result
>>> in a warning message like "DLL attempted to change FPU control word from
>>> 8001f to 9001f". The value 8001f that gets reported is in the format
>>> expected by the C library routine _controlfp; the raw value that is used
>>> in the FPU register is 037F.
>>

>> Also with a few old discussions that explain (for a package developer) how
>> to avoid this.
>>

>> The question is, should I, as a useR, do anything regarding this warning
>> massage ?
>
> It's a bug in the rJava package, so you should report it to the maintainer of
> that package.

I suspect it is much more likely to be in the Java installation being
linked to, so you should make sure that is fully updated and report
its version to the maintainer if the problem persists.

It does not do this for me with Sun Java 1.6.0u18.