Zoomable graphs with multiple plots

Tim Shephard
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could confirm/deny whether there exists any
kind of package to facilitate zoomable graphs with multiple plots (eg,
 plot(..) and then points(..)).    I've tried zoom from IDPmisc, and
iplot from the iplot and iplot extreme packages, but as far I can
tell, neither can handle the task.

Does anyone know anything else that might work?   Or generally know different?

Cheers,

Tim.

Re: Zoomable graphs with multiple plots

Jim Lemon
Tim Shephard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could confirm/deny whether there exists any
> kind of package to facilitate zoomable graphs with multiple plots (eg,
>  plot(..) and then points(..)).    I've tried zoom from IDPmisc, and
> iplot from the iplot and iplot extreme packages, but as far I can
> tell, neither can handle the task.
>
> Does anyone know anything else that might work?   Or generally know different?

Hi Tim,
zoomInPlot in the plotrix package just plots the same data twice with
different limits. You could use the same strategy, except instead of
passing the coordinates to the function, write a similar function that
accepts a list of plotting commands to be evaluated in each plot.

Jim

Re: Zoomable graphs with multiple plots

Tim Shephard
This is what I've done.   Just capture two identifies and then replot.
  If the identifies are right left, I zoom out.  Works quite well.

Still, can't wait for iplot xtreme.

Cheers,

Tim.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Jim Lemon<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim Shephard wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could confirm/deny whether there exists any
>> kind of package to facilitate zoomable graphs with multiple plots (eg,
>>  plot(..) and then points(..)).    I've tried zoom from IDPmisc, and
>> iplot from the iplot and iplot extreme packages, but as far I can
>> tell, neither can handle the task.
>>
>> Does anyone know anything else that might work?   Or generally know
>> different?
>>

> Hi Tim,
> zoomInPlot in the plotrix package just plots the same data twice with
> different limits. You could use the same strategy, except instead of passing
> the coordinates to the function, write a similar function that accepts a
> list of plotting commands to be evaluated in each plot.
>
> Jim

Re: Zoomable graphs with multiple plots

Greg Snow-2
Look at the zoomplot function in the TeachingDemos package.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Jim Porzak
Tim,

I've had success (& user acceptance) simply plotting to a .pdf &
passing zoom functionality to Acrobat, or whatever.

Worked especially well with large US map with a lot of fine print annotation.

Of, course, will not replot axes more appropriate for zoom level.

HTH,
Jim Porzak
Ancestry.com
San Francisco, CA
www.linkedin.com/in/jimporzak
use R! Group SF: www.meetup.com/R-Users/

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Greg Snow<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Look at the zoomplot function in the TeachingDemos package.
>
> --
> Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
> Statistical Data Center
> Intermountain Healthcare
> [hidden email]
> 801.408.8111

Felix Andrews
There is also playwith, if you're willing to go down the GTK+ route...

2009/9/3 Tim Shephard <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could confirm/deny whether there exists any
> kind of package to facilitate zoomable graphs with multiple plots (eg,
>  plot(..) and then points(..)).    I've tried zoom from IDPmisc, and
> iplot from the iplot and iplot extreme packages, but as far I can
> tell, neither can handle the task.
>
> Does anyone know anything else that might work?   Or generally know different?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Postdoctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 1670
E: [hidden email]
CRICOS Provider No. 00120C
--
http://www.neurofractal.org/felix/

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Jim Porzak<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I've had success (& user acceptance) simply plotting to a .pdf &
> passing zoom functionality to Acrobat, or whatever.
>
> Worked especially well with large US map with a lot of fine print annotation.
>
> Of, course, will not replot axes more appropriate for zoom level.

That's clever.   It solve another problem too:  my function shuts down
R until I'm done.