a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

Peng Zhao
Hi. I have a question about the taylor.diagram() in plotrix package. How can I control the label "correlation"?  In the embedded figure you can see the label "correlation" is too close to the ticks. How can I move it and make it larger?
Another problem is the labels "0.95" and "0.99" are too close to the plotting area. I do not find any method to control it.

I have been struggling in this problem for a long time. Thanks a lot if anyone can help.

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

Mark Difford
On Jan 20, 2012; 4:08pm "baydap" wrote:

>  In the embedded figure you can see the label "correlation" is too close to the ticks. How can I move it and make
> it larger?

I have hacked the function to do this and to return a table of relevant statistics. You are welcome to it, but I don't have access to it until tomorrow or the day after. I will send it to you off list.

Note: It would be nice to have a real name and affiliation.

Regards Mark.
Mark Difford (Ph.D.)
Research Associate
Botany Department
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

Peng Zhao
Thank you, Mark.
My name is Peng Zhao. I am a beginner here. I do not know how to use this R-help and change my shown name at the moment. Sorry for that.

Regards,

Peng

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

Jim Lemon
On 01/21/2012 01:08 AM, baydap wrote:

> Hi. I have a question about the taylor.diagram() in plotrix package. How can
> I control the label "correlation"?  In the embedded figure you can see the
> label "correlation" is too close to the ticks. How can I move it and make it
> larger?
> Another problem is the labels "0.95" and "0.99" are too close to the
> plotting area. I do not find any method to control it.
>
> I have been struggling in this problem for a long time. Thanks a lot if
> anyone can help.
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4313328/taylor.png

Hi baydap,
I'm not sure why the labels are coming out so close to the outer
circumference, it may be your plotting device. I have noticed that text
size and spacing changes quite a bit between devices. The quickest way
out is to alter the code a bit. Change these lines:

    text(cos(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
     sin(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
     c(seq(0.1,0.9,by=0.1),0.95,0.99))
    text(maxsd*0.75,maxsd*0.8,"Correlation")

to:

    text(cos(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.1*maxsd,
     sin(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
     c(seq(0.1,0.9,by=0.1),0.95,0.99))
    text(maxsd*0.85,maxsd*0.8,"Correlation")

change the function name to something like taylor.diagram2 and source
the new function after loading plotrix and before running your code.

Jim

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

Peng Zhao
Dear Jim,

Your solution works very well. I am an R beginner, and I did not
realize that I could modify a function in a package.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Peng

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/21/2012 01:08 AM, baydap wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I have a question about the taylor.diagram() in plotrix package. How
>> can
>> I control the label "correlation"?  In the embedded figure you can see the
>> label "correlation" is too close to the ticks. How can I move it and make
>> it
>> larger?
>> Another problem is the labels "0.95" and "0.99" are too close to the
>> plotting area. I do not find any method to control it.
>>
>> I have been struggling in this problem for a long time. Thanks a lot if
>> anyone can help.
>> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4313328/taylor.png
>>
> Hi baydap,
> I'm not sure why the labels are coming out so close to the outer
> circumference, it may be your plotting device. I have noticed that text size
> and spacing changes quite a bit between devices. The quickest way out is to
> alter the code a bit. Change these lines:
>
>   text(cos(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
>    sin(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
>    c(seq(0.1,0.9,by=0.1),0.95,0.99))
>   text(maxsd*0.75,maxsd*0.8,"Correlation")
>
> to:
>
>   text(cos(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.1*maxsd,
>    sin(c(bigtickangles,acos(c(0.95,0.99))))*1.05*maxsd,
>    c(seq(0.1,0.9,by=0.1),0.95,0.99))
>   text(maxsd*0.85,maxsd*0.8,"Correlation")
>
> change the function name to something like taylor.diagram2 and source the
> new function after loading plotrix and before running your code.
>
> Jim

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

filahi
hello,
you have posted this question on r-help and i have the same problem

 How can I control the label "correlation"?  In the embedded figure you can
see the label "correlation" is too close to the ticks. How can I move it
and make it larger?
Another problem is the labels "0.95" and "0.99" are too close to the
plotting area. I do not find any method to control it.

can you help me

Said FILAHI

Re: a question about taylor.diagram in plotrix package

mert yesilkanat
Hi Said

You can save diagrams in .svg format. In thus way, You can make changes in files in these formats with inkscape program.

Good day...