about paired or unpaired t.test or wilcox.test in R

about paired or unpaired t.test or wilcox.test in R

Bogdan Tanasa
Dear all,

if would be great if you could please advise on the use of PAIRED or
UNPAIRED T.TEST or WILCOX.TEST in R :

let's say shall we have 2 samples :

-- CONTROL : where we measure the expression of 100 genes G1 ... G100 in
one million cells C1 ...C1mil

-- TREATMENT : where we measure the expression of 100 genes G1 ... G100 in
one million cells D1 ...D1mil

when we compare the expression of these 100 genes G1 ...G100, in CONTROL vs
TREATMENT, shall we use UNPAIRED TESTS, correct ?

as the cells in CONTROL C1..C1mil are different than the cells in TREATMENT
D1..D1mil ? thanks a lot !

-- bogdan

Re: about paired or unpaired t.test or wilcox.test in R

David Winsemius

On 9/11/19 1:14 PM, Bogdan Tanasa wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> if would be great if you could please advise on the use of PAIRED or
> UNPAIRED T.TEST or WILCOX.TEST in R :
>
> let's say shall we have 2 samples :
>
> -- CONTROL : where we measure the expression of 100 genes G1 ... G100 in
> one million cells C1 ...C1mil
>
> -- TREATMENT : where we measure the expression of 100 genes G1 ... G100 in
> one million cells D1 ...D1mil
>
> when we compare the expression of these 100 genes G1 ...G100, in CONTROL vs
> TREATMENT, shall we use UNPAIRED TESTS, correct ?
>
> as the cells in CONTROL C1..C1mil are different than the cells in TREATMENT
> D1..D1mil ? thanks a lot !
>
> -- bogdan
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Rhelp is a plain text list. It is specifically for help with R coding
difficulties, and it is specifically NOT to advice about chosing
analysis plans. You question raises serious analysis issues regarding
multiple comparisons and distributional assumption which I believe are
still the subject of research. A more welcoming venue might be the
BioConductor mailing list or CrossValitdated.com.

--

David.