access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Richard M. Heiberger
Springer has just made available free access to many books through July.
This is part of their global program to support educators, students
and academics
affected by coronavirus lockdown.

Their list includes about 20 statistics books in English and 2 in
German.  Several, including mine, have R in the title or subtitle.

This link describes the program:
https://www.springernature.com/gp/librarians/news-events/all-news-articles/industry-news-initiatives/free-access-to-textbooks-for-institutions-affected-by-coronaviru/17855960?sap-outbound-id=07923935E132AFCC90201BAEA7D6755EC6C597DE&utm_source=hybris-campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=000_BARZ01_0000001531_AEXS_AWA_CB02_GL_txt_covid&utm_content=EN_internal_5917_20200522&mkt-key=42010A0550671EDA9BA73AC34F576EF6

My book is
Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
Holland, 2nd ed. 2015
It is supported by the HH package available from CRAN.

Rich

Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Abby Spurdle
That sounds like progress.

However, I was unable to use their website.
All I can find is Excel documents (which I can't open) and MARC (?),
which I don't have time to look into.

Your post might have more value, if you provide a list of the titles
(or a link to a list, in an easy to read open access format), ideally
with a note on where to find open access copies of those texts,
without spending a long time searching.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 4:29 AM Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Springer has just made available free access to many books through July.
> This is part of their global program to support educators, students
> and academics
> affected by coronavirus lockdown.
>
> Their list includes about 20 statistics books in English and 2 in
> German.  Several, including mine, have R in the title or subtitle.
>
> This link describes the program:
> https://www.springernature.com/gp/librarians/news-events/all-news-articles/industry-news-initiatives/free-access-to-textbooks-for-institutions-affected-by-coronaviru/17855960?sap-outbound-id=07923935E132AFCC90201BAEA7D6755EC6C597DE&utm_source=hybris-campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=000_BARZ01_0000001531_AEXS_AWA_CB02_GL_txt_covid&utm_content=EN_internal_5917_20200522&mkt-key=42010A0550671EDA9BA73AC34F576EF6
>
> My book is
> Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
> Holland, 2nd ed. 2015
> It is supported by the HH package available from CRAN.
>
> Rich

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Richard M. Heiberger
The Excel file is what you need.
As Fabio remarked, the downloadable links are in column R

I normally read (and write) Excel files into R using library(openxlsx)
There are also several other packages on CRAN for reading and writing Excel.

MARC stands for
MAchine-Readable Cataloging.
Information is at the Library of Congress
 https://www.loc.gov/marc/faq.html

Rich

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That sounds like progress.
>
> However, I was unable to use their website.
> All I can find is Excel documents (which I can't open) and MARC (?),
> which I don't have time to look into.
>
> Your post might have more value, if you provide a list of the titles
> (or a link to a list, in an easy to read open access format), ideally
> with a note on where to find open access copies of those texts,
> without spending a long time searching.
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 4:29 AM Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Springer has just made available free access to many books through July.
> > This is part of their global program to support educators, students
> > and academics
> > affected by coronavirus lockdown.
> >
> > Their list includes about 20 statistics books in English and 2 in
> > German.  Several, including mine, have R in the title or subtitle.
> >
> > This link describes the program:
> > https://www.springernature.com/gp/librarians/news-events/all-news-articles/industry-news-initiatives/free-access-to-textbooks-for-institutions-affected-by-coronaviru/17855960?sap-outbound-id=07923935E132AFCC90201BAEA7D6755EC6C597DE&utm_source=hybris-campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=000_BARZ01_0000001531_AEXS_AWA_CB02_GL_txt_covid&utm_content=EN_internal_5917_20200522&mkt-key=42010A0550671EDA9BA73AC34F576EF6
> >
> > My book is
> > Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
> > Holland, 2nd ed. 2015
> > It is supported by the HH package available from CRAN.
> >
> > Rich

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

John C Frain
On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 21:15, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Excel file is what you need.
> As Fabio remarked, the downloadable links are in column R
>
> I normally read (and write) Excel files into R using library(openxlsx)
> There are also several other packages on CRAN for reading and writing
> Excel.
>
> I opened the .xlxs file in LibreOffice Calc.  I pasted the links in
column S into my browser and was offered a download in pdf and /or epub.
This worked very well.  Apologies for the double posting

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:[hidden email]
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Abby Spurdle
> The Excel file is what you need.

Well, now I'm in a bad mood.

I went to all the trouble of opening the thing...
And the first two Springer-published books I look for, aren't there.

(1) Programming with Data, John Chambers
(2) Applied Econometrics with R, Z and co.

Next time someone tells me to use an Excel document, I'm adding them
to the spam list.

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Jeff Newmiller
You are bound to be disappointed if you invert the purpose of the list. This is marketing... think of it as a sale... stores rarely put their entire stock on sale... particularly if the sale price is zero. You have to start with the list and look for interesting titles.

But don't let me dissuade you from adding to your killfile if that seems more useful to you.

On May 22, 2020 5:04:29 PM PDT, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The Excel file is what you need.
>
>Well, now I'm in a bad mood.
>
>I went to all the trouble of opening the thing...
>And the first two Springer-published books I look for, aren't there.
>
>(1) Programming with Data, John Chambers
>(2) Applied Econometrics with R, Z and co.
>
>Next time someone tells me to use an Excel document, I'm adding them
>to the spam list.

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Richard O'Keefe-2
the real pleasure comes from things you weren't looking for but recognise
as just what you needed.

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 12:34, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You are bound to be disappointed if you invert the purpose of the list.
> This is marketing... think of it as a sale... stores rarely put their
> entire stock on sale... particularly if the sale price is zero. You have to
> start with the list and look for interesting titles.
>
> But don't let me dissuade you from adding to your killfile if that seems
> more useful to you.
>
> On May 22, 2020 5:04:29 PM PDT, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> The Excel file is what you need.
> >
> >Well, now I'm in a bad mood.
> >
> >I went to all the trouble of opening the thing...
> >And the first two Springer-published books I look for, aren't there.
> >
> >(1) Programming with Data, John Chambers
> >(2) Applied Econometrics with R, Z and co.
> >
> >Next time someone tells me to use an Excel document, I'm adding them
> >to the spam list.

Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

mark leeds
Abby: here's an easier link for seeing what you might like.

https://link.springer.com/search?facet-content-type=%22Book%22&package=mat-covid19_textbooks&%23038;facet-language=%22En%22&%23038;sortOrder=newestFirst&%23038;showAll=true

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the real pleasure comes from things you weren't looking for but recognise
> as just what you needed.
>
> On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 12:34, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > You are bound to be disappointed if you invert the purpose of the list.
> > This is marketing... think of it as a sale... stores rarely put their
> > entire stock on sale... particularly if the sale price is zero. You have
> > start with the list and look for interesting titles.
> >
> > But don't let me dissuade you from adding to your killfile if that seems
> > more useful to you.

> > >Well, now I'm in a bad mood.
> > >
> > >I went to all the trouble of opening the thing...
> > >And the first two Springer-published books I look for, aren't there.
> > >
> > >(1) Programming with Data, John Chambers
> > >(2) Applied Econometrics with R, Z and co.
> > >
> > >Next time someone tells me to use an Excel document, I'm adding them
> > >to the spam list.

> > >and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
> >
> > --
> > Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: [External Email] Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Christopher W. Ryan
Am I interpreting this offer correctly, that it is for libraries to
obtain access to the e-books for free? It does not seem to me that an
invididual can download one--am I missing that part?

Thanks

--Chris Ryan

Mark Leeds wrote:

> Abby: here's an easier link for seeing what you might like.
>
> https://link.springer.com/search?facet-content-type=%22Book%22&package=mat-covid19_textbooks&%23038;facet-language=%22En%22&%23038;sortOrder=newestFirst&%23038;showAll=true
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> the real pleasure comes from things you weren't looking for but recognise
>> as just what you needed.
>>
>> On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 12:34, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You are bound to be disappointed if you invert the purpose of the list.
>>> This is marketing... think of it as a sale... stores rarely put their
>>> entire stock on sale... particularly if the sale price is zero. You have
>>> start with the list and look for interesting titles.
>>>
>>> But don't let me dissuade you from adding to your killfile if that seems
>>> more useful to you.

>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: [External Email] Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

mark leeds
Hi: I'm not sure about the other link that was sent because I didn't try
it  but, in the case of the link that I sent,
you can obtain the pdfs of a lot of the books shown.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 12:16 AM Christopher W. Ryan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am I interpreting this offer correctly, that it is for libraries to
> obtain access to the e-books for free? It does not seem to me that an
> invididual can download one--am I missing that part?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Chris Ryan
>
> Mark Leeds wrote:
> > Abby: here's an easier link for seeing what you might like.
> >

> https://link.springer.com/search?facet-content-type=%22Book%22&package=mat-covid19_textbooks&%23038;facet-language=%22En%22&%23038;sortOrder=newestFirst&%23038;showAll=true
> >
> > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> the real pleasure comes from things you weren't looking for but
> recognise
> >> as just what you needed.

> have

> seems

> >>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: [External Email] Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

R help mailing list-2
They can be downladed. I saved two of them to my desktop as pdf earlier.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:35 PM, Mark Leeds<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi: I'm not sure about the other link that was sent because I didn't try

Untitled (5K) Download Attachment

Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Abby Spurdle
> My book is
> Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
> Holland, 2nd ed. 2015

In all fairness, I thought should look at your book.

I was quite impressed by the chapter on multiple comparisons.
And may look again, later.

In my personal opinion (diverging slightly), with more and more people
using extensive exploratory-style modelling, I think some of the
methods for multiple comparisons could (and should) be adapted to the
interpretation of exploratory plots.

And returning to your book...
There's relatively comprehensive chapters on multiple regression.
And I'm happy you used the term "explanatory" rather than "independent".
When people use the term "independent variables" (outside a
theoretical context) they usually go my how-did-these people-get-a-job
list.

Some comments:
(1) Expanding on the above point, I couldn't see a section on
interpreting regression coefficients, which is something people often
get wrong.
(2) It had a nice objective/frequentist flavor, but it would have been
nicer to see clearer references to robust, semiparametric and more
general nonparametric methods, even if only brief.

In principle, some of these (but not all) follow the same philosophy
as classical statistics, but allow greater flexibility.

Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Patrick (Malone Quantitative)
Thanks, Rich! I found several books to peruse.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Springer has just made available free access to many books through July.
> This is part of their global program to support educators, students
> and academics
> affected by coronavirus lockdown.
>
> Their list includes about 20 statistics books in English and 2 in
> German.  Several, including mine, have R in the title or subtitle.
>
> This link describes the program:
>
> https://www.springernature.com/gp/librarians/news-events/all-news-articles/industry-news-initiatives/free-access-to-textbooks-for-institutions-affected-by-coronaviru/17855960?sap-outbound-id=07923935E132AFCC90201BAEA7D6755EC6C597DE&utm_source=hybris-campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=000_BARZ01_0000001531_AEXS_AWA_CB02_GL_txt_covid&utm_content=EN_internal_5917_20200522&mkt-key=42010A0550671EDA9BA73AC34F576EF6
>
> My book is
> Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
> Holland, 2nd ed. 2015
> It is supported by the HH package available from CRAN.
>
> Rich

Patrick S. Malone, Ph.D., Malone Quantitative
NEW Service Models: http://malonequantitative.com

He/Him/His

Re: [External Email] Re: [External] Re: access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Peter Dalgaard-2
Some of them are generally available. At least they look that way from here....

E.g., (shameless plug...)

https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-0-387-79054-1

-pd

> On 23 May 2020, at 06:15 , Christopher W. Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am I interpreting this offer correctly, that it is for libraries to
> obtain access to the e-books for free? It does not seem to me that an
> invididual can download one--am I missing that part?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Chris Ryan
>
> Mark Leeds wrote:
>> Abby: here's an easier link for seeing what you might like.
>>
>> https://link.springer.com/search?facet-content-type=%22Book%22&package=mat-covid19_textbooks&%23038;facet-language=%22En%22&%23038;sortOrder=newestFirst&%23038;showAll=true
>>
>> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> the real pleasure comes from things you weren't looking for but recognise
>>> as just what you needed.

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501