an unusual use for R

Sarah Goslee
I thought some of you might be amused by this.

In my non-work time, I'm an avid weaver and teacher of weaving. I'm
working on a project involving creating many detailed weaving
patterns, so I wrote R code to automate it.

Details here:
http://stringpage.com/blog/?p=822

If the overlap between R users and avid tablet weavers turns out to be
>> 1, I'll polish it up and turn it into a package.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: an unusual use for R

mbedward
Brilliant Sarah !  I love seeing such unexpected and creative applications.

I'm not a weaver but am a knitter (and a knotter actually) and have
mused about using R to help design elements of textured knitting
patterns e.g. as seen in single-colour, traditional fisherman's
jumpers from England and Scotland.  I've yet to do anything more than
muse though.

Hope it turns into a package :)

Michael

On 3 February 2012 09:54, Sarah Goslee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought some of you might be amused by this.
>
> In my non-work time, I'm an avid weaver and teacher of weaving. I'm
> working on a project involving creating many detailed weaving
> patterns, so I wrote R code to automate it.
>
> Details here:
> http://stringpage.com/blog/?p=822
>
> If the overlap between R users and avid tablet weavers turns out to be
>>> 1, I'll polish it up and turn it into a package.
>
> Sarah
>
> --
> Sarah Goslee
> http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: an unusual use for R

Carl Witthoft
Well,  I have to say, how nice to find a valid use for "string theory" :-) .

Now that we all know you are in fact the "mistress of skulls," guess we
better tread lightly!

Carl

<quote>

From: Sarah Goslee <sarah.goslee_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:54:04 -0500

I thought some of you might be amused by this.

In my non-work time, I'm an avid weaver and teacher of weaving. I'm
working on a project involving creating many detailed weaving patterns,
so I wrote R code to automate it.

Details here:
http://stringpage.com/blog/?p=822

If the overlap between R users and avid tablet weavers turns out to be
 >> 1, I'll polish it up and turn it into a package.

--

Sent from my Cray XK6
"Pendeo-navem mei anguillae plena est."

Re: an unusual use for R

glsnow
Nice,

Last year I found that my office needed some decoration and my wife
has some fancy sewing machines that can be programmed to do embroidery
and cross-stitch.  So I designed some cross stitches (using R and the
program for the machines) that show distribution functions and
equations for the Central Limit Theorem, Bayes Theorem, and the Mean
Value Theorem of Integration and my wife stitched them out for me.  I
certainly get varied comments when people see them.

Nice to know there are others who mix R, Statistics, and Textile crafts.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Sarah Goslee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought some of you might be amused by this.
>
> In my non-work time, I'm an avid weaver and teacher of weaving. I'm
> working on a project involving creating many detailed weaving
> patterns, so I wrote R code to automate it.
>
> Details here:
> http://stringpage.com/blog/?p=822
>
> If the overlap between R users and avid tablet weavers turns out to be
>>> 1, I'll polish it up and turn it into a package.
>
> Sarah
>
> --
> Sarah Goslee
> http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.

Re: an unusual use for R

Richard M. Heiberger
I love it.  I hope you are planning a talk at the UseR!2012 in Nashville.

Do remember the history that one of the origins of punchcards is the
Jaquard loom.

Rich

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Sarah Goslee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought some of you might be amused by this.
>
> In my non-work time, I'm an avid weaver and teacher of weaving. I'm
> working on a project involving creating many detailed weaving
> patterns, so I wrote R code to automate it.
>
> Details here:
> http://stringpage.com/blog/?p=822
>
> If the overlap between R users and avid tablet weavers turns out to be
> >> 1, I'll polish it up and turn it into a package.
>
> Sarah
>
> --
> Sarah Goslee
> http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: an unusual use for R

barry rowlingson
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I love it.  I hope you are planning a talk at the UseR!2012 in Nashville.

 Maybe we'll have hand-woven R-logo lanyards for our conference
badges? Get weaving Sarah!

Barry