automate package installation

jkang
I have an ubuntu image with R installed.  I want to install a list of packages that does not come with R. eg. cluster, gplots, hacks, mapdata. etc.  Over time this list may grow.

Is there a config file that can tell R what and where to install additional packages?  My goal is to store all R packages on a file server so that my clients can install them on there workstation.  Any tips, advice, example commands, and scripts are greatly appreciated!

Re: automate package installation

Uwe Ligges-3

On 13.04.2011 02:11, jkang wrote:
> I have an ubuntu image with R installed.  I want to install a list of
> packages that does not come with R. eg. cluster, gplots, hacks, mapdata.
> etc.  Over time this list may grow.
>
> Is there a config file that can tell R what and where to install additional
> packages?  My goal is to store all R packages on a file server so that my
> clients can install them on there workstation.  Any tips, advice, example
> commands, and scripts are greatly appreciated!

If such a network server is available for the clients, why not make
a) a network installation of R
b) provide the relevant packages in a library on the network, so that
all clients can use the same library of R packages. You only need to
maintain that library.

See "R Installation and Administration" on hwo to manage libraries of R
packages.

Uwe Ligges