barplot question

Sally_roman
Hi - I would like to make to make a barplot of my data, but am having issues.  An example of my data is:

species                    net       pair   pounds    type
Cod                          Control        1 46    kept
Little Skate                  Control        1 0    kept
Summer Flounder          Control        1 9    kept
Windowpane Flounder  Control        1 0    kept
Winter Flounder          Control        1 0    kept
Winter Skate          Control        1 0    kept
Yellowtail Flounder  Control        1 76    kept
Cod                          Experimental 1 19    kept
Little Skate                  Experimental 1 0    kept
Summer Flounder          Experimental 1 2    kept
Windowpane Flounder  Experimental 1 0    kept
Winter Flounder          Experimental 1 0    kept
Winter Skate          Experimental 1 0    kept
Yellowtail Flounder  Experimental 1 9    kept
Cod                          Control        1 14         discard
Little Skate                  Control        1 75    discard
Summer Flounder          Control        1 1    discard
Windowpane Flounder  Control        1 32    discard
Winter Flounder          Control        1 16    discard
Winter Skate          Control        1 225    discard
Yellowtail Flounder  Control        1 7    discard
Cod                          Experimental 1 7    discard
Little Skate                  Experimental 1 64    discard
Summer Flounder          Experimental 1 3    discard
Windowpane Flounder  Experimental 1 26    discard
Winter Flounder          Experimental 1 12    discard
Winter Skate          Experimental 1 136    discard
Yellowtail Flounder  Experimental 1 5    discard

I have 9 total pairs.  I would like to be able be able to make a barplot by pair that shows the catch of the control net (kept & discard) stacked with the catch of the experimental net also stacked by species like the image below I did in excel.

I can make barplots by net and pair, but I would like to have both nets on one barplot if possible.

Thanks Sally

Re: barplot question

Carl Witthoft
Start out with

?barplot

Then please tell us what your "issues" are.   The barplot function is
pretty flexible.

If I guess that you are having difficulty simultaneously plotting one
set of stacked bars and another set of non-stacked bars next to them, I
would recommend two approaches.

One is to play with

 > barplot(first_stuff)
 > par(new=TRUE)
 > barplot(second_stuff)

The other, and probably better, approach, is to write your data of
interest into a new matrix with some zeroes added to certain columns,
and use the "beside=FALSE" argument to barplot().

Carl

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3670861/image.jpg

--
-----
Sent from my Cray XK6

Re: barplot question

Sally_roman
I have done ?barplot.  I have not problems making barplots in R except for this where there are actually two stacked columns for each fish.
I have also searched the internet to look for examples like what I would like to plot, but have not found any which is why I thought putting a post would be helpful.

Re: barplot question

Sarah Goslee
Hi Sally,

I'm not sure what your question actually is. How to make a stacked bar
plot, perhaps?

If so, do any of the examples at these two sites help?
http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/R/#barcharts
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/search.php?engine=RGG&q=barplot

If not, can you explain what you are trying to do and how? The posting
guide is a good place to find out what information is needed for the
list to be able to offer useful advice.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: barplot question

Sally_roman
I would like to make stacked barplots, but with two stacked columns per x value.  For cod - I have kept and discard values for 2 nets.  I would like to have one stacked column for the control net with the kept and discard value and then another column with the kept and discard values for the experimental net.  I can make a stacked barplots in R that will plot one net by species, but my boss would like to have both nets on the same graph.  I have done it in excel, but was hoping to do the same thing in R.  All of the R barplots I have found including the ones that you included as links do not demonstrate what I would like to do.  Is is possible in R?

Re: barplot question

Robert Baer
As Sarah requested, could you at least read the posting guide and provide us
with some sample data?

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiology
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A. T. Still University of Health Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St.
Kirksville, MO 63501
660-626-2322
FAX 660-626-2965

Re: barplot question

Sally_roman
In my first post is example data.

Re: barplot question

Sarah Goslee
People who participate in this list via email are unlikely to have
your example data, or even to have any idea what you are currently
referring to.

Please leave enough of the previous messages in your reply to the list
to provide context, and include all necessary information. Don't
assume that everyone has all previous messages in a thread immediately
to hand.

Sarah

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Sally_roman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In my first post is example data.

Nabble.com is not the main way in which people participate in this list.

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: barplot question

Jim Lemon
On 07/20/2011 01:24 AM, Sally_roman wrote:
> In my first post is example data.

Hi Sally,
I was going to suggest:

fish<-read.table("fish.dat",header=TRUE)
controlfish<-
  rbind(fish$pounds[fish$net=="Control" & fish$type == "kept"],
  fish$pounds[fish$net=="Control" & fish$type == "discard"])
expfish<-
  rbind(fish$pounds[fish$net=="Experimental" & fish$type == "kept"],
  NA,fish$pounds[fish$net=="Experimental" & fish$type == "discard"])
barplot(controlfish,xlim=c(0,8),width=0.5,space=1.2,offset=rep(-0.5,7)
barplot(expfish,width=0.5,space=1.2,add=TRUE)

but the "offset" argument seems to do nothing, so this doesn't work.

Jim