barplot with lines instead of bars

Rafael Moral
Dear useRs,

I want to plot the following barplot with lines instead of bars. Is there a way?

data <- data.frame(cbind(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64, 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48)))
d <- t(data[,2:4])
barplot(d, beside=TRUE)

Regards,
Rafael.

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

Thierry Onkelinx
Here is a solutions using ggplot2 and reshape

library(reshape)
library(ggplot2)
data <- data.frame(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64, 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48))
Molten <- melt(data, id.vars = "k")
ggplot(Molten, aes(x = k, y = value, colour = variable)) + geom_line()

HTH,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics, methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
[hidden email]
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

Rafael Moral
I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I need is something like this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg

Lines instead of bars

Thanks!

Rafael.

ONKELINX, Thierry wrote

Thierry.Onkelinx@inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

hadley wickham
What's the difference between a line and a thin bar?
Hadley

http://had.co.nz/

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

Rafael Moral
How can I draw thin bars in a barplot?
Rafael

hadley wrote

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM, rafamoral<rafa_moral2004@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I need is something like
> this:
>
> http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg
>
> Lines instead of bars
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rafael.
>

> ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
>>
>> Here is a solutions using ggplot2 and reshape
>>
>> library(reshape)
>> library(ggplot2)
>> data <- data.frame(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
>> 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48))
>> Molten <- melt(data, id.vars = "k")
>> ggplot(Molten, aes(x = k, y = value, colour = variable)) + geom_line()
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Thierry

>> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
>> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and
>> Forest
>> Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
>> methodology and quality assurance
>> Gaverstraat 4
>> 9500 Geraardsbergen
>> Belgium
>> tel. + 32 54/436 185
>> Thierry.Onkelinx@inbo.be
>> www.inbo.be
>>
>> To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
>> than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
>> say what the experiment died of.
>> ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
>>
>> The plural of anecdote is not data.
>> ~ Roger Brinner
>>
>> The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
>> ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
>> data.
>> ~ John Tukey

http://had.co.nz/

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

John Kane-2

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM, rafamoral<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I
> need is something like
> > this:
> >
> > http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg
> >
> > Lines instead of bars
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Rafael.
> >

> > ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
> >>
> >> Here is a solutions using ggplot2 and reshape
> >>
> >> library(reshape)
> >> library(ggplot2)
> >> data <- data.frame(k = 0:3, fk = c(11,
> 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
> >> 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48))
> >> Molten <- melt(data, id.vars = "k")
> >> ggplot(Molten, aes(x = k, y = value, colour =
> variable)) + geom_line()
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> Thierry

> >> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
> >> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research
> Institute for Nature and
> >> Forest
> >> Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg /
> Section biometrics,
> >> methodology and quality assurance
> >> Gaverstraat 4
> >> 9500 Geraardsbergen
> >> Belgium
> >> tel. + 32 54/436 185
> >> [hidden email]
> >> www.inbo.be
> >>
> >> To call in the statistician after the experiment
> is done may be no more
> >> than asking him to perform a post-mortem
> examination: he may be able to
> >> say what the experiment died of.
> >> ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
> >>
> >> The plural of anecdote is not data.
> >> ~ Roger Brinner
> >>
> >> The combination of some data and an aching desire
> for an answer does not
> >> ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted
> from a given body of
> >> data.
> >> ~ John Tukey

[[elided Yahoo spam]]

ahoo.com

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

John Kane-2
Have a look at ?segments and/or ?arrows.

> > What's the difference between a line and a thin bar?
> > Hadley
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM, rafamoral<[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I
> need is something like
> >> this:
> >>
> >> http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg
> >>
> >> Lines instead of bars
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Rafael.

> 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
> 1.48))
> variable)) + geom_line()

> Research Institute for Nature
> / Section biometrics,

> experiment is done may be no more
> examination: he may be able to

> desire for an answer does not
> extracted from a given body of

Henrique Dallazuanna
Try this:

matplot(matrix(1:length(d), NCOL(d), byrow = TRUE), t(d), type = 'h', lty =
1, lwd = 2)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Rafael Moral
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear useRs,
>
> I want to plot the following barplot with lines instead of bars. Is there a
> way?
>
> data <- data.frame(cbind(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
> 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48)))
> d <- t(data[,2:4])
> barplot(d, beside=TRUE)
>
> Regards,
> Rafael.

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O

Re: barplot with lines instead of bars

John Kane-2
A clumsy way but it seems to work
data <- data.frame(cbind(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72,
          17.64, 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48)))
d <- t(data[,2:4])
# barplot(d, beside=TRUE)

xps1 <- xps2 <- c(.95,1,1.05, 1.95, 2, 2.05, 2.95, 3, 3.05, 3.95, 4, 4.05)
yps1  <- rep(0, 12)
yps2 <- d

plot(1, 1, xlim=c(0,5),ylim=c(min(d), max(d)), type="n", xaxt="n",
          xlab="Hi There", ylab="Skinny bars")

arrows(xps1,yps1, xps2,yps2, angle=0, col=c("red","blue","green"), lwd=2)

> > What's the difference between a line and a thin bar?
> > Hadley
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM, rafamoral<[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I
> need is something like
> >> this:
> >>
> >> http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg
> >>
> >> Lines instead of bars
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Rafael.

> 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
> 1.48))
> variable)) + geom_line()

> Research Institute for Nature
> / Section biometrics,

> experiment is done may be no more
> examination: he may be able to

> desire for an answer does not
> extracted from a given body of

slre
What is wrong with using plot(..., type="h")?

data <- data.frame(cbind(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72,
          17.64, 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48)))
d <- t(data[,2:4])

plot(rep(1:4,3)+rep(seq(-0.1,0.1,0.1), 4), as.vector(d), col=rep(1:3,
each=4),type="h", lwd=3, axes=F)
box()
axis(2)
axis(1, at=1:4, labels=1:4)
legend(2.7,20, legend=row.names(d), col=1:3, lwd=3)

>>> John Kane <[hidden email]> 09/09/2009 15:30:39 >>>
A clumsy way but it seems to work
data <- data.frame(cbind(k = 0:3, fk = c(11, 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72,
          17.64, 7.56, 1.08), fkest = c(11.85, 17.78, 8.89, 1.48)))
d <- t(data[,2:4])
# barplot(d, beside=TRUE)

xps1 <- xps2 <- c(.95,1,1.05, 1.95, 2, 2.05, 2.95, 3, 3.05, 3.95, 4,
4.05)
yps1  <- rep(0, 12)
yps2 <- d

plot(1, 1, xlim=c(0,5),ylim=c(min(d), max(d)), type="n", xaxt="n",
          xlab="Hi There", ylab="Skinny bars")

arrows(xps1,yps1, xps2,yps2, angle=0, col=c("red","blue","green"),
lwd=2)

> > What's the difference between a line and a thin bar?
> > Hadley
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM,
rafamoral<[hidden email]>

> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. What I
> need is something like
> >> this:
> >>
> >> http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2818/imagemyu.jpg
> >>
> >> Lines instead of bars
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Rafael.

> 20,7,2), f0k = c(13.72, 17.64,
> 1.48))
> variable)) + geom_line()

> Research Institute for Nature
> / Section biometrics,

> experiment is done may be no more
> examination: he may be able to

> desire for an answer does not
> extracted from a given body of

My bad memory? I forgot that option existed.