cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Spencer Graves
Hello:

      What do you recommend I do to get past cryptic error messages from
"R CMD check", complaining "No such file or directory"?  The package is
under SVN control, and I reverted to a version that passed "R CMD
check", without eliminating the error.  The "00install.out" file is
short and bitter:

cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory
cat: of: No such file or directory
cat: create.fourier.basis.R: No such file or directory
make: *** [Rcode0] Error 1

---------- Making package fda ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `R/Copy', needed by
`D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda/R/fda'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [pkg-fda] Error 2
*** Installation of fda failed ***

Removing 'D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda'

      Thanks for any suggestions.  I have a "*.tar.gz" file that I hope
may not have this problem, but I'm not sure.

      Thanks,
      Spencer

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Ted.Harding-2
Just guessing here, but it looks as though an attempt has been made
to execute the following command:

  cat ./R/Copy of create.fourier.basis.R

This may have arisen because there is indeed a file named

  "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"

but the command was issued to the OS without quotes; or (perhaps
less likely, because of the presence of the "./R/") the line

  "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"

was intended as a comment in the file, but somehow got read as
a substantive part of the code.

Good luck!
Ted.

On 01-Nov-08 15:40:33, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hello:
>
>       What do you recommend I do to get past cryptic error messages
> from
> "R CMD check", complaining "No such file or directory"?  The package is
> under SVN control, and I reverted to a version that passed "R CMD
> check", without eliminating the error.  The "00install.out" file is
> short and bitter:
>

> cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory
> cat: of: No such file or directory
> cat: create.fourier.basis.R: No such file or directory
> make: *** [Rcode0] Error 1
>
> ---------- Making package fda ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `R/Copy', needed by
> `D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda/R/fda'.
> Stop.
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-fda] Error 2
> *** Installation of fda failed ***
>
> Removing 'D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda'
>

>       Thanks for any suggestions.  I have a "*.tar.gz" file that I hope
> may not have this problem, but I'm not sure.
>
>       Thanks,
>       Spencer

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 01-Nov-08                                       Time: 16:19:56

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Spencer Graves
Dear Ted:

      Thanks very much.  In fact, I did have a file named "Copy of
create.fourier.basis.R".  I deleted it and got an even more cryptic
version of the same error message.  I ultimately traced this to lines
like "<<<<<<< .working" inserted by subversion into a *.R or *.Rd file I
was using.  I found this by finding a previous "*.tar.gz" file that
passed "R CMD check", studying the subversion log of 7 different changes
made by 3 people since that one that worked, and reviewing changes made
to at least 13 different files in that period until I found the problem.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> Just guessing here, but it looks as though an attempt has been made
> to execute the following command:
>
>   cat ./R/Copy of create.fourier.basis.R
>
> This may have arisen because there is indeed a file named
>
>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>
> but the command was issued to the OS without quotes; or (perhaps
> less likely, because of the presence of the "./R/") the line
>
>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>
> was intended as a comment in the file, but somehow got read as
> a substantive part of the code.
>
> Good luck!
> Ted.
>
> On 01-Nov-08 15:40:33, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>>       What do you recommend I do to get past cryptic error messages
>> from
>> "R CMD check", complaining "No such file or directory"?  The package is
>> under SVN control, and I reverted to a version that passed "R CMD
>> check", without eliminating the error.  The "00install.out" file is
>> short and bitter:
>>

>> cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory
>> cat: of: No such file or directory
>> cat: create.fourier.basis.R: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [Rcode0] Error 1
>>
>> ---------- Making package fda ------------
>>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>>   installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `R/Copy', needed by
>> `D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda/R/fda'.
>> Stop.
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make: *** [pkg-fda] Error 2
>> *** Installation of fda failed ***
>>
>> Removing 'D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda'
>>

>>       Thanks for any suggestions.  I have a "*.tar.gz" file that I hope
>> may not have this problem, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>       Thanks,
>>       Spencer

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Duncan Murdoch
On 01/11/2008 8:53 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Dear Ted:
>
>       Thanks very much.  In fact, I did have a file named "Copy of
> create.fourier.basis.R".  I deleted it and got an even more cryptic
> version of the same error message.  I ultimately traced this to lines
> like "<<<<<<< .working" inserted by subversion into a *.R or *.Rd file I
> was using.  I found this by finding a previous "*.tar.gz" file that
> passed "R CMD check", studying the subversion log of 7 different changes
> made by 3 people since that one that worked, and reviewing changes made
> to at least 13 different files in that period until I found the problem.

Hi Spencer.

If you're using Windows, I really recommend using TortoiseSVN.  It'll
make it very easy to see conflict markers like the one that caused your
trouble.  (I don't like their compare utility, but it's easy to plug in
a different one. I use Beyond Compare.)

If you're not on Windows, there are probably similar things available,
but I don't know what they are.

Duncan Murdoch

>       Best Wishes,
>       Spencer
>
> (Ted Harding) wrote:
>> Just guessing here, but it looks as though an attempt has been made
>> to execute the following command:
>>
>>   cat ./R/Copy of create.fourier.basis.R
>>
>> This may have arisen because there is indeed a file named
>>
>>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>>
>> but the command was issued to the OS without quotes; or (perhaps
>> less likely, because of the presence of the "./R/") the line
>>
>>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>>
>> was intended as a comment in the file, but somehow got read as
>> a substantive part of the code.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Ted.
>>
>> On 01-Nov-08 15:40:33, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>>       What do you recommend I do to get past cryptic error messages
>>> from
>>> "R CMD check", complaining "No such file or directory"?  The package is
>>> under SVN control, and I reverted to a version that passed "R CMD
>>> check", without eliminating the error.  The "00install.out" file is
>>> short and bitter:
>>>

>>> cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory
>>> cat: of: No such file or directory
>>> cat: create.fourier.basis.R: No such file or directory
>>> make: *** [Rcode0] Error 1
>>>
>>> ---------- Making package fda ------------
>>>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>>>   installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
>>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `R/Copy', needed by
>>> `D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda/R/fda'.
>>> Stop.
>>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>>> make: *** [pkg-fda] Error 2
>>> *** Installation of fda failed ***
>>>
>>> Removing 'D:/spencerg/statmtds/splines/fda/RForge/fda/fda.Rcheck/fda'
>>>

>>>       Thanks for any suggestions.  I have a "*.tar.gz" file that I hope
>>> may not have this problem, but I'm not sure.
>>>
>>>       Thanks,
>>>       Spencer

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Spencer Graves
Dear Duncan:

<in line>

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 01/11/2008 8:53 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Dear Ted:
>>       Thanks very much.  In fact, I did have a file named "Copy of
>> create.fourier.basis.R".  I deleted it and got an even more cryptic
>> version of the same error message.  I ultimately traced this to lines
>> like "<<<<<<< .working" inserted by subversion into a *.R or *.Rd
>> file I was using.  I found this by finding a previous "*.tar.gz" file
>> that passed "R CMD check", studying the subversion log of 7 different
>> changes made by 3 people since that one that worked, and reviewing
>> changes made to at least 13 different files in that period until I
>> found the problem.
>
> Hi Spencer.
>
> If you're using Windows, I really recommend using TortoiseSVN.  It'll
> make it very easy to see conflict markers like the one that caused
> your trouble.  (I don't like their compare utility, but it's easy to
> plug in a different one. I use Beyond Compare.)
      I've been using TortoiseSVN for roughly 18 months now, but I had
previously not used much of its capabilities.  The log and diff files
helped narrow the problem from someplace in 400 files to someplace in 13.

      It would be nice if the "R CMD check" diagnostics were more clear
about things like this.  However, even with these problems, it is vastly
superior to the anarchy that organizes the software development efforts
of many people I know.  I have friends and colleagues developing
software in other languages with NOTHING like this, asking me to check
their work.  I'm refining lectures on the virtues of "R CMD check" and
pushing others adopt something similar for perl scripts, Matlab code,
etc.  I'm eager to help develop such systems, and I resist efforts to
have me repeat tests I developed months ago and should be automated.

      Thanks for your reply -- and for your very valuable work in
helping to develop the current "R CMD check" system.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer

> If you're not on Windows, there are probably similar things available,
> but I don't know what they are.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

>>       Best Wishes,
>>       Spencer
>>
>> (Ted Harding) wrote:
>>> Just guessing here, but it looks as though an attempt has been made
>>> to execute the following command:
>>>
>>>   cat ./R/Copy of create.fourier.basis.R
>>>
>>> This may have arisen because there is indeed a file named
>>>
>>>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>>>
>>> but the command was issued to the OS without quotes; or (perhaps
>>> less likely, because of the presence of the "./R/") the line
>>>
>>>   "Copy of create.fourier.basis.R"
>>>
>>> was intended as a comment in the file, but somehow got read as
>>> a substantive part of the code.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>> Ted.

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Prof Brian Ripley
Please note that the assmuption is that you can install a pacakge before
you check it.

R CMD INSTALL often gives fuller diagnostics: I am not sure these would
have helped you here, but I would have expected you to have got a 'syntax
error' message (which is not 'cryptic': you did have syntax errors in your
files).

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Dear Duncan:
> <in line>
>
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 01/11/2008 8:53 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>> Dear Ted:
>>>       Thanks very much.  In fact, I did have a file named "Copy of
>>> create.fourier.basis.R".  I deleted it and got an even more cryptic
>>> version of the same error message.  I ultimately traced this to lines like
>>> "<<<<<<< .working" inserted by subversion into a *.R or *.Rd file I was
>>> using.  I found this by finding a previous "*.tar.gz" file that passed "R
>>> CMD check", studying the subversion log of 7 different changes made by 3
>>> people since that one that worked, and reviewing changes made to at least
>>> 13 different files in that period until I found the problem.
>>
>> Hi Spencer.
>>
>> If you're using Windows, I really recommend using TortoiseSVN.  It'll make
>> it very easy to see conflict markers like the one that caused your trouble.
>> (I don't like their compare utility, but it's easy to plug in a different
>> one. I use Beyond Compare.)
>     I've been using TortoiseSVN for roughly 18 months now, but I had
> previously not used much of its capabilities.  The log and diff files helped
> narrow the problem from someplace in 400 files to someplace in 13.
>     It would be nice if the "R CMD check" diagnostics were more clear about
> things like this.  However, even with these problems, it is vastly superior
> to the anarchy that organizes the software development efforts of many people
> I know.  I have friends and colleagues developing software in other languages
> with NOTHING like this, asking me to check their work.  I'm refining lectures
> on the virtues of "R CMD check" and pushing others adopt something similar
> for perl scripts, Matlab code, etc.  I'm eager to help develop such systems,
> and I resist efforts to have me repeat tests I developed months ago and
> should be automated.
>     Thanks for your reply -- and for your very valuable work in helping to
> develop the current "R CMD check" system.
>     Best Wishes,
>     Spencer
>>
>> If you're not on Windows, there are probably similar things available, but
>> I don't know what they are.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>

>>>       Best Wishes,
>>>       Spencer

Re: cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Spencer Graves
Dear Prof. Ripley:

      Thanks for the suggestion.  I've used some of those diagnostics,
and I think I knew that I could run "R CMD install --build" without
having passed "R CMD check", but I hadn't done it before and didn't
think of it.  I will remember it for the future.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer