command completion?

Robert Citek

Does R have command or object name completion?

R has several functions of modern shells built into it e.g. history
mechanism, command-line editing, emacs key bindings.  However, it
doesn't seem to have command or object name completion.  For example,
in bash I can begin typing a command and then press the tab key to
have the shell fill in the rest of the command (works for environment
variables and filenames, too).  Does command completion exist and I'm
not using it correctly or don't have it turned on, or is it really
not there?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Re: command completion?

Duncan Murdoch
On 5/10/2006 2:52 PM, Robert Citek wrote:

> Does R have command or object name completion?
>
> R has several functions of modern shells built into it e.g. history
> mechanism, command-line editing, emacs key bindings.  However, it
> doesn't seem to have command or object name completion.  For example,
> in bash I can begin typing a command and then press the tab key to
> have the shell fill in the rest of the command (works for environment
> variables and filenames, too).  Does command completion exist and I'm
> not using it correctly or don't have it turned on, or is it really
> not there?

It's not there, because some of the shells that run R supply it. I don't
use one, but I think a couple of the popular ones are ESS and the Mac OS
GUI.

It would be a nice addition to the Windows GUI, but I don't know anyone
who is working on it.  I don't think it would be a welcome change to the
console versions; some of them use readline's filename completion which
would almost certainly be broken by this.  Others need to run under ESS.

Re: command completion?

François Pinard
[Duncan Murdoch]
>[Robert Citek]

>> Does R have command or object name completion?

>[...] I don't think it would be a welcome change to the console
>versions; some of them use readline's filename completion which would
>almost certainly be broken by this.

We have to put things in perspective, here.  In my opinion, object name
completion would be a lot more useful than filename completion, because
in R, we name R objects much more often than we name files.

>Others need to run under ESS.

While this is a good things for Emacs lovers, the requirement is rather
unwelcome for pagans!  :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

Re: command completion?

Bert Gunter
Is the following a fortunes package candidate?

> >Others need to run under ESS.
>
> While this is a good things for Emacs lovers, the requirement
> is rather
> unwelcome for pagans!  :-)
>
> --
> François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

:-)

-- Bert

Re: command completion?

Achim Zeileis
On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:26:32 -0700 Berton Gunter wrote:

> Is the following a fortunes package candidate?

...promoted to fortunes package member in the devel-version.

thx,