could not load r package in mac

Kristi Glover
Hi R user,

I was wondering why I could not load R packages such as reshape2 in mac. I tried different ways but could not success.

here I what I got

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.parentingamerica.com/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.2

> install.packages(reshape2)

Error in install.packages(reshape2) : object 'reshape2' not found

 Any hints?

Re: could not load r package in mac

Philippe Grosjean
Have you tried a different mirror? If they all fail, also check your internet connection.

PhG

> On 25 Nov 2015, at 09:01, Kristi Glover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi R user,
>
> I was wondering why I could not load R packages such as reshape2 in mac. I tried different ways but could not success.
>

> here I what I got
>

> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.parentingamerica.com/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.2
>

>> install.packages(reshape2)
>
> Error in install.packages(reshape2) : object 'reshape2' not found
>

> Any hints?

Re: could not load r package in mac

Rainer Krug-3
Kristi Glover <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi R user,
>
> I was wondering why I could not load R packages such as reshape2 in mac. I tried different ways but could not success.
>

> here I what I got
>

> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.parentingamerica.com/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.2

Directly clicking on the link reveals: the mirror is down. Choose a
different mirror and it should work.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> install.packages(reshape2)
>
> Error in install.packages(reshape2) : object 'reshape2' not found
>

>  Any hints?

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: could not load r package in mac

Kristi Glover
I don't know how i can chose different mirror. I am new in mac. Would you mind to give a little bit more information?

I have installed R 3.2.2 binary for Mac OS X 10.9

I tried following one

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.parentingamerica.com/src/contrib
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://R.research.att.com/

thanks

> I was wondering why I could not load R packages such as reshape2 in mac. I tried different ways but could not success.
>

> here I what I got
>

> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.parentingamerica.com/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.2

Directly clicking on the link reveals: the mirror is down. Choose a
different mirror and it should work.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> install.packages(reshape2)
>
> Error in install.packages(reshape2) : object 'reshape2' not found
>

>  Any hints?
>

>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: could not load r package in mac

Jeff Newmiller
The usual issue is that the mirror is unavailable and you need to choose a different one.  Another complication is the recent switch to preferring secure repositories, which only a minority of mirrors are currently supporting. To address that be sure to pick a mirror that has https protocol.

On November 25, 2015 12:01:59 AM PST, Kristi Glover <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi R user,
>
>I was wondering why I could not load R packages such as reshape2 in
>mac. I tried different ways but could not success.
>

>here I what I got
>

>Warning: unable to access index for repository
>http://cran.parentingamerica.com/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.2
>

>> install.packages(reshape2)
>
>Error in install.packages(reshape2) : object 'reshape2' not found
>

> Any hints?

Re: could not load r package in mac

Kristi Glover
Got it. Thanks for your kind help.

________________________________

Re: could not load r package in mac

Fox, John
Dear Kristi,

>From a subsequent message, you appear to have solved your problem, but whether or not the mirror you're using is available, the command you posted won't work. You need to put the package name in quotes: install.packages("reshape2"), as you may have discovered.

It's the object reshape2, which doesn't exist in your workspace, that triggers the error, not the presence or absence of the package reshape2 on the CRAN mirror you're using.

Best,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University