crash when opening existing scripts

Oliver Balmer
I have a newly installed R (v. 4.0.2) on an all new MacBook Pro with OS
Catalina (v. 10.15.4). R works perfectly smooth except for one thing:
Many of my scripts (but not all - and consistently the same) will cause
R to crash when I attempt to open them either by double-clicking them or
by opening them from within R with File>Open Recent. I never had that
problem before and I did not find answers to this problem in older posts
or StackOverflow. The only way to open them is to open them in another
text editor and copy-paste them into a new script within R. But when I
then save that new script and try to reopen it, the same thing happens
again.

*Dr. Oliver Balmer*
Project leader
Tel. +41 (0)61 284 87 48
[hidden email]

*Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute*
Socinstrasse 57, 4051 Basel, Switzerland
www.swisstph.ch

Re: crash when opening existing scripts

Berend Hasselman

> On 6 Jul 2020, at 23:38, Oliver Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a newly installed R (v. 4.0.2) on an all new MacBook Pro with OS
> Catalina (v. 10.15.4). R works perfectly smooth except for one thing:
> Many of my scripts (but not all - and consistently the same) will cause
> R to crash when I attempt to open them either by double-clicking them or
> by opening them from within R with File>Open Recent. I never had that
> problem before and I did not find answers to this problem in older posts
> or StackOverflow. The only way to open them is to open them in another
> text editor and copy-paste them into a new script within R. But when I
> then save that new script and try to reopen it, the same thing happens
> again.

This belongs on the R-SIG-Mac list (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/).

See this thread:  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-June/013575.html

and the solution: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-July/013641.html