data dividing

bambus
hey
I'd like to divide my data into four seasons. for this I made a function:

Jahreszeit <- function(x) {
if (x<=02 || x==12)  {return("Winter")
}else{
if (x>=03 && x<=05) {return("Fruehling")
}else{
if (x>=06 && x<=08) {return("Sommer")
}else{
if (x>=09 && x<=11) {return("Herbst")
}}}}}

Now, I have some trouble to apply this function.
I tried lapply(), sapply() and tapply() but everytime i get for every month just "Winter". which isn't right.
Does someone now an explanation?
if i try it with some random vector it does work but not with my data.
Please, I need help...has anyone an idea? thx

Re: data dividing

Rui Barradas
Hello,

Your function works,

 > sapply(1:12, Jahreszeit)
  [1] "Winter"    "Winter"    "Fruehling" "Fruehling" "Fruehling" "Sommer"
  [7] "Sommer"    "Sommer"    "Herbst"    "Herbst"    "Herbst" "Winter"

but not with your data? We don't know what your data looks like. Post an
example using ?dput

dput( head(dat, 30) )  # paste the output of this in a post

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas
Em 16-10-2012 10:26, bambus escreveu:

> hey
> I'd like to divide my data into four seasons. for this I made a function:
>
> Jahreszeit <- function(x) {
> if (x<=02 || x==12)  {return("Winter")
> }else{
> if (x>=03 && x<=05) {return("Fruehling")
> }else{
> if (x>=06 && x<=08) {return("Sommer")
> }else{
> if (x>=09 && x<=11) {return("Herbst")
> }}}}}
>
> Now, I have some trouble to apply this function.
> I tried lapply(), sapply() and tapply() but everytime i get for every month
> just "Winter". which isn't right.
> Does someone now an explanation?
> if i try it with some random vector it does work but not with my data.
> Please, I need help...has anyone an idea? thx

Re: data dividing

bambus
ok thanks, but I just got it right. Although I don't know what was the problem.
just thanks for your effort!!!