dbinom link

Koenker, Roger W
FWIW the link from ?dbinom to the Loader paper on Binomials is broken but the paper seems to be
available here:   https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/3829107/0/loader2000Fast.pdf

Roger Koenker
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Honorary Professor of Economics
Department of Economics, UCL
Emeritus Professor of Economics
and Statistics, UIUC

Re: dbinom link

Abby Spurdle
This has come up before.

Here's the last time:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2019-March/077478.html

I guess my answer to the following the question...

    Perhaps we should ask permission to
    nail the thing down somewhere on r-project.org?

...would be, to reproduce it somewhere.
And then update the link in the binom help file.

Given that the article was previously available freely (with no
apparent restrictions on reproducing it), and that the author has
significant published works which are open access, I'd be surprised if
there's any objection to reproducing it.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM Koenker, Roger W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW the link from ?dbinom to the Loader paper on Binomials is broken but the paper seems to be
> available here:   https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/3829107/0/loader2000Fast.pdf
>
> Roger Koenker
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
> Honorary Professor of Economics
> Department of Economics, UCL
> Emeritus Professor of Economics
> and Statistics, UIUC

Re: dbinom link

Peter Dalgaard-2
In principle a good idea, but I'm not sure the whereabouts of Catherine Loader are known at this point. Last peeps from her on the net seem to be about a decade old.

.pd

> On 18 May 2020, at 10:31 , Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This has come up before.
>
> Here's the last time:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2019-March/077478.html
>
> I guess my answer to the following the question...
>
>    Perhaps we should ask permission to
>    nail the thing down somewhere on r-project.org?
>
> ...would be, to reproduce it somewhere.
> And then update the link in the binom help file.
>
> Given that the article was previously available freely (with no
> apparent restrictions on reproducing it), and that the author has
> significant published works which are open access, I'd be surprised if
> there's any objection to reproducing it.
>

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM Koenker, Roger W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW the link from ?dbinom to the Loader paper on Binomials is broken but the paper seems to be
>> available here:   https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/3829107/0/loader2000Fast.pdf
>>
>> Roger Koenker
>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Honorary Professor of Economics
>> Department of Economics, UCL
>> Emeritus Professor of Economics
>> and Statistics, UIUC

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: dbinom link

Hilmar Berger-4

What about using the Wayback Machine archive ? The web archive should be
more stable than other links which also might disappear in the future.

E.g.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070610002602/http://www.herine.net/stat/software/dbinom.html

, which also links to an archived copy of the PDF.

Best regards,

Hilmar

On 18.05.20 10:57, peter dalgaard wrote:

> In principle a good idea, but I'm not sure the whereabouts of Catherine Loader are known at this point. Last peeps from her on the net seem to be about a decade old.
>
> .pd
>
>> On 18 May 2020, at 10:31 , Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This has come up before.
>>
>> Here's the last time:
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2019-March/077478.html
>>
>> I guess my answer to the following the question...
>>
>>     Perhaps we should ask permission to
>>     nail the thing down somewhere on r-project.org?
>>
>> ...would be, to reproduce it somewhere.
>> And then update the link in the binom help file.
>>
>> Given that the article was previously available freely (with no
>> apparent restrictions on reproducing it), and that the author has
>> significant published works which are open access, I'd be surprised if
>> there's any objection to reproducing it.
>>

>> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM Koenker, Roger W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> FWIW the link from ?dbinom to the Loader paper on Binomials is broken but the paper seems to be
>>> available here:   https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/3829107/0/loader2000Fast.pdf
>>>
>>> Roger Koenker
>>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> Honorary Professor of Economics
>>> Department of Economics, UCL
>>> Emeritus Professor of Economics
>>> and Statistics, UIUC

Re: dbinom link

Prof Brian Ripley
On 18/05/2020 09:57, peter dalgaard wrote:
> In principle a good idea, but I'm not sure the whereabouts of Catherine Loader are known at this point. Last peeps from her on the net seem to be about a decade old.

All attempts to contact Dr Loader re the locfit package failed,
including those earlier this year.

> .pd
>
>> On 18 May 2020, at 10:31 , Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This has come up before.
>>
>> Here's the last time:
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2019-March/077478.html
>>
>> I guess my answer to the following the question...
>>
>>     Perhaps we should ask permission to
>>     nail the thing down somewhere on r-project.org?
>>
>> ...would be, to reproduce it somewhere.
>> And then update the link in the binom help file.
>>
>> Given that the article was previously available freely (with no
>> apparent restrictions on reproducing it), and that the author has
>> significant published works which are open access, I'd be surprised if
>> there's any objection to reproducing it.
>>

>> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM Koenker, Roger W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW the link from ?dbinom to the Loader paper on Binomials is broken but the paper seems to be
>>> available here:   https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/3829107/0/loader2000Fast.pdf
>>>
>>> Roger Koenker
>>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> Honorary Professor of Economics
>>> Department of Economics, UCL
>>> Emeritus Professor of Economics
>>> and Statistics, UIUC

Re: dbinom link

Martin Maechler

    > What about using the Wayback Machine archive ? The web archive should be
    > more stable than other links which also might disappear in the future.

    > E.g.
    > https://web.archive.org/web/20070610002602/http://www.herine.net/stat/software/dbinom.html

    > , which also links to an archived copy of the PDF.

    > Best regards,
    > Hilmar

Thank you, Hilmar;  I have been aware of the web.archive ... but
I already had 3 (very slightly different) versions of the report
on my computer (from "way back" ..).

We've now added the "best" (and most recent, 2002) to the R-project website,
and amended the 'Binomial'  help page to include the new link:  It
now says (in R-devel and 'R 4.0.0 patched') :

  Source:

     For dbinom a saddle-point expansion is used: see

     Catherine Loader (2000). _Fast and Accurate Computation of
     Binomial Probabilities_; available as <URL:
     https://www.r-project.org/doc/reports/CLoader-dbinom-2002.pdf>

Best regards,
Martin