docs about _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ ?

Toby Hocking-2
Can someone please add documentation for that environment variable to
Writing R Extensions? An appropriate place would be section
https://cloud.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Suggested-packages
which already discusses _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_=true

Re: docs about _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ ?

Gábor Csárdi
See at https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-ints.html#Tools

Gabor

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Toby Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone please add documentation for that environment variable to
> Writing R Extensions? An appropriate place would be section
> https://cloud.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Suggested-packages
> which already discusses _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_=true

Re: docs about _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ ?

Gabriel Becker-2
Hi Toby,

As Gabor pointed out the place where the various levers R CMD check
supports is in the R-internals manual, but there is a link directly to that
section in
https://cloud.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Checking-packages

It could perhaps be more prominent, perhaps by moving the paragraph that
appears in to before the detailed list of  exact tests that are performed?
I'm happy to put a patch for that together if there is a) interest, and b)
a patch is preferable to someone on R-core simply doing that migration
themselves.

I do also agree that given that _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_ and
_R_CHECK_SUGGESTS_ONLY_
are mentioned in the section you link, it would perhaps make sense to
mention _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ as well. I can put that in the patch as
well, if there is agreement from R-core that one or both of these changes
make sense.

Best,
~G

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:07 AM Gábor Csárdi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> See at https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-ints.html#Tools
>
> Gabor
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Toby Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Can someone please add documentation for that environment variable to
> > Writing R Extensions? An appropriate place would be section
> >
> https://cloud.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Suggested-packages
> > which already discusses _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_=true

Re: docs about _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ ?

Toby Hocking-2
I agree with the doc updates Gabe proposes, they would be helpful.