editor: not possible to change the variable name

editor: not possible to change the variable name

tornanddesperate
Hi again everybody

I have a new problem concerning the editor of R. It is possible to  add a new variable column, but they all have the name "var1".I read somewhere that it should be possible to change the variable name by clicking on it, but that doesn't work. Is that a bug or how is it possible to change the variable header?

Many thanks

Matthias

Re: editor: not possible to change the variable name

Joshua Wiley-2
Hi Matthias,

What do you mean by "that doesn't work"?  What platform are you using?  Using:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

fix(mydataframe)

brings up the data editor, then if I click a variable name, and change
it and shut down the data editor, it works just fine for me.  You
could also use the menu to bring up the editor.  More information
about the steps you are trying, the version of R, and exactly what is
going wrong will help us help you.

Best regards,

Josh

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM, tornanddesperate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again everybody
>
> I have I new problem concerning the editor of R. It is possible to  add a
> new variable column, but they all have the name "var1".I read somewhere that
> it should be possible to change the variable name by clicking on it, but
> that doesn't work. Is that a bug or how is it possible to change the
> variable header?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Matthias

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles
http://www.joshuawiley.com/

Re: editor: not possible to change the variable name

Joshua Wiley-2
Hi Matthias,

If you know the column number you want to change, it is pretty straightforward.

## use the builtin mtcars dataset as an example
## and store it in variable, 'x'
x <- mtcars
## change the second column name to "cylinder"
colnames(x)[2] <- "cylinder"

## compare the column names of 'x' with the unchanged 'mtcars'
colnames(mtcars)
colnames(x)

You might also consider R-sig mac if it is at all related to your OS.
I have never really used macs so I am unfamiliar with Rs default
interface on them, though I would assume it is similar.

Good luck,

Josh