error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

eigen
Hi,

I got an error message in my program saying

"Error in eigen(gene_intersection.kernel) :
  error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'
Execution halted".

As you see, I was trying to compute the eigenvalues of a matrix but got this error. Is there anyone who knows what this error means and how I can fix it? Theoretically the eigenvalues should be nonnegative, if it helps.

Thank you!

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

Prof Brian Ripley
On 31/01/2015 14:15, eigen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got an error message in my program saying
>
> "Error in eigen(gene_intersection.kernel) :
>    error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'
> Execution halted".
>
> As you see, I was trying to compute the eigenvalues of a matrix but got this
> error. Is there anyone who knows what this error means and how I can fix it?

The help page for eigen says

Source:

      By default ‘eigen’ uses the LAPACK routines ‘DSYEVR’, ‘DGEEV’,
      ‘ZHEEV’ and ‘ZGEEV’

      LAPACK is from <URL: http://www.netlib.org/lapack> and its guide
      is listed in the references.

You need to consult that guide and/or the source code: all I saw at a
cursory look was

*> \param[out] INFO
*> \verbatim
*>          INFO is INTEGER
*>          = 0:  successful exit
*>          < 0:  if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value
*>          > 0:  Internal error
*> \endverbatim

so it means 'internal error'.

> Theoretically the eigenvalues should be nonnegative, if it helps.
>
> Thank you!

1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

eigen
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

Peter Dalgaard-2

On 02 Feb 2015, at 04:08 , eigen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the
> errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get
> approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.

How could we? All we  know is that you are having trouble running some unspecified code on some unspecified data on an unspecified platform.

It is a bit like someone calling from Finland and telling you that they are lost looking for the University and are standing at a roadsign pointing to "Keskus".

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

Kasper Daniel Hansen-2
fortune candidate

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM, peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02 Feb 2015, at 04:08 , eigen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the
> > errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get
> > approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.
> >

> How could we? All we  know is that you are having trouble running some
> unspecified code on some unspecified data on an unspecified platform.
>
> It is a bit like someone calling from Finland and telling you that they
> are lost looking for the University and are standing at a roadsign pointing
> to "Keskus".
>

> > --

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

eigen
Sorry for being unclear. I am using R x64 3.1.2 for simulation. Basically I got a matrix of genetic data and calculated the kernel matrix. Now I have trouble applying eigen function on the kernel matrix for a few simulations but not most of them. I tried other methods but none of them worked. I guess my kernel matrix may not be very good. Thank you.

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

William Dunlap
You can start diagnosing the problem by capturing the matrix that caused
eigen() to stop.   You can do this in a variety of ways; here is one
    trace(eigen, quote(lastEigenX <<- x))
After setting the trace, make your offending function call and after the
error the global variable 'lastEigenX' will contain the bad matrix.  Take
the trace off of eigen
   untrace(eigen)
If all goes well then
   eigen(lastEigenX)
will cause the same error and you or someone on this list can see what
is odd about that matrix (e.g., by looking at its singular values).

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM, eigen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the
> errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get
> approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

Gavin Simpson-3
On 2 February 2015 at 10:07, William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

> If all goes well then
>    eigen(lastEigenX)
> will cause the same error and you or someone on this list can see what
> is odd about that matrix (e.g., by looking at its singular values).

Preferably *not* this list as this doesn't really seem to be about
developing R or with/for it. R-Help would have been a more appropriate
venue for a question such as this.

> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM, eigen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the
> > errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get
> > approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.
> >

> > --

Gavin Simpson, PhD

Re: error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dsyevr'

eigen
Thank you. I am too busy these days. I will get back to this problem once I get some time.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Gavin Simpson-3 [via R] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 February 2015 at 10:07, William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

> If all goes well then
>    eigen(lastEigenX)
> will cause the same error and you or someone on this list can see what
> is odd about that matrix (e.g., by looking at its singular values).

Preferably *not* this list as this doesn't really seem to be about
developing R or with/for it. R-Help would have been a more appropriate
venue for a question such as this.

> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM, eigen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea of how to get rid of the
> > errors? I tried Null function to calculate eigenvectors and nearPD to get
> > approximate positive definite matrix first but they also had errors.
> >

> > --

Gavin Simpson, PhD

NAML