finding yap.exe with Sweave

Felipe Carrillo
Dear all:
Just to make sure I am on the same page as everyone else.
I just got a new computer and had to reinstall MikTex and  of course R and Tinn-R. In order to be able to generate PDF's with Sweave I had to install notepad++ to tell Sweave where Latex.exe and yap.exe where located under MikTex path. So,I have two questions:
1- Do I need to have a Miktex editor in order to use Sweave? I am not using the editor because I am generating my PDF's from R using Sweave.
2- Is Sweave able to find the path to Latex.exe and yap.exe by itself?
Everything works fine now but I am just want to get it right for future installations.
I'm running on windows xp and have R-2.8.1 installed
Thanks in advance

Felipe D. Carrillo
Supervisory Fishery Biologist
Department of the Interior
US Fish & Wildlife Service
California, USA

Re: finding yap.exe with Sweave

Christopher W. Ryan
Hmm, it's been a while since I installed my R and Sweave, so I can't
remember exactly how I did it, but I don't recall any particular
difficulties. I think I had to copy the Sweave.sty to my localtexmf
tree; I see it there now in
C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\Sweave\Sweave.sty,
in addition to having it in
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.1\share\texmf\Sweave.sty.

I suppose instead I could have just put the latter directory in my
MikTex as a local tree, in which to look for .sty files.

I use MikTex too, and I don't use any particular editor; I write in
TinnR but have used Programmers Notepad and others successfully.

What do you mean you had to use, "notepad++ to tell Sweave where
Latex.exe and yap.exe where located under MikTex path?"

--Chris
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
cryanatbinghamtondotedu
PGP public keys available at http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]

Felipe Carrillo wrote:

> Dear all:
> Just to make sure I am on the same page as everyone else.
> I just got a new computer and had to reinstall MikTex and  of course R and Tinn-R. In order to be able to generate PDF's with Sweave I had to install notepad++ to tell Sweave where Latex.exe and yap.exe where located under MikTex path. So,I have two questions:
> 1- Do I need to have a Miktex editor in order to use Sweave? I am not using the editor because I am generating my PDF's from R using Sweave.
> 2- Is Sweave able to find the path to Latex.exe and yap.exe by itself?
> Everything works fine now but I am just want to get it right for future installations.
> I'm running on windows xp and have R-2.8.1 installed
> Thanks in advance
>

> Felipe D. Carrillo
> Supervisory Fishery Biologist
> Department of the Interior
> US Fish & Wildlife Service
> California, USA

Re: finding yap.exe with Sweave

Felipe Carrillo
This is what I did:
Installed R,Tinn-R and MikTex. Then I tried to Sweave an Rnw file, something like Sweave("test.rnw"),then texi2dvi("test.rnw,pdf=TRUE) but I had a message saying saying that it couldn't find "pdflatex". After doing a little bit of research I went ahead and downloaded notepad++ and followed the wizard instructions which asked me to find the path to C:\Program Files\MikTex\.....latex.exe and then to follow and save the same path to yap.exe. After I did this notepad++ asked me to perform a test to see if I could generate a dvi file which I did and everything worked beautifully. No I am able to run Sweave from R and everything works ok but I feel that I has to be a workaround it because I don't use notepad++ at all, I only used it once to do what I described above. I am thinking that based on what you described, I just need to put Sweave.sty on MikTex path. I'll try that and see what happens. R resides on my C:\drive and MikTex resides in C:\Program
 Files\MikTex so I wonder if those two need to be in the same directory. Thanks for looking into it.

> Hmm, it's been a while since I installed my R and
> Sweave, so I can't
> remember exactly how I did it, but I don't recall any
> particular
> difficulties. I think I had to copy the Sweave.sty to my
> localtexmf
> tree; I see it there now in
> C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\Sweave\Sweave.sty,
> in addition to having it in
> C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.5.1\share\texmf\Sweave.sty.
>
> I suppose instead I could have just put the latter
> directory in my
> MikTex as a local tree, in which to look for .sty files.
>
> I use MikTex too, and I don't use any particular
> editor; I write in
> TinnR but have used Programmers Notepad and others
> successfully.
>
> What do you mean you had to use, "notepad++ to tell
> Sweave where
> Latex.exe and yap.exe where located under MikTex
> path?"
>
> --Chris
> Christopher W. Ryan, MD
> SUNY Upstate Medical University Clinical Campus at
> Binghamton
> 40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
> cryanatbinghamtondotedu
> PGP public keys available at
> http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/
>
> "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the
> men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to
> yearn for the
> vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]
>
> Felipe Carrillo wrote:
> > Dear all:
> > Just to make sure I am on the same page as everyone
> else.
> > I just got a new computer and had to reinstall MikTex
> and  of course R and Tinn-R. In order to be able to generate
> PDF's with Sweave I had to install notepad++ to tell
> Sweave where Latex.exe and yap.exe where located under
> MikTex path. So,I have two questions:
> > 1- Do I need to have a Miktex editor in order to use
> Sweave? I am not using the editor because I am generating my
> PDF's from R using Sweave.
> > 2- Is Sweave able to find the path to Latex.exe and
> yap.exe by itself?
> > Everything works fine now but I am just want to get it
> right for future installations.
> > I'm running on windows xp and have R-2.8.1
> installed
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Felipe D. Carrillo
> > Supervisory Fishery Biologist
> > Department of the Interior
> > US Fish & Wildlife Service
> > California, USA

> reproducible code.

> reproducible code.

Re: finding yap.exe with Sweave

Felipe Carrillo
Problem solved. I reinstalled R and MikTex. Don't know why it didn't happen before, but now Sweave is able to find MikTex and creates the pdf file. It is kind of strange though, when I run texi2dvi it gives an error message saying that it cannot create the pdf but it still creates one.

> [...]
> > MikTex path. So,I have two questions:
> > > 1- Do I need to have a Miktex editor in order to
> use
> > Sweave? I am not using the editor because I am
> generating my
> > PDF's from R using Sweave.
> > > 2- Is Sweave able to find the path to Latex.exe
> and
> > yap.exe by itself?
> > > Everything works fine now but I am just want to
> get it
> > right for future installations.
> > > I'm running on windows xp and have R-2.8.1
> > installed
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >

> > > Felipe D. Carrillo
> > > Supervisory Fishery Biologist
> > > Department of the Interior
> > > US Fish & Wildlife Service
> > > California, USA

> > > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained,

Duncan Murdoch
On 01/01/2009 3:07 PM, Felipe Carrillo wrote:
> Problem solved. I reinstalled R and MikTex. Don't know why it didn't happen before, but now Sweave is able to find MikTex and creates the pdf file. It is kind of strange though, when I run texi2dvi it gives an error message saying that it cannot create the pdf but it still creates one.

It may be seeing a nonzero return value from pdflatex, which sets the
errorlevel if there's an insignificant latex error in the document, e.g.
a missing reference, etc.

Duncan Murdoch