from XPPro to Linux what distribution to use for R ?

from XPPro to Linux what distribution to use for R ?

phguardiol
Dear R users

I m planning to move to Linux to use R (currently under Win XPPro on a 32bit PC with 4 Go RAM), I have 2 questions:
- is there a recommended "version/distribution" of Linux to run?R and Bioconductor packages: Fedora ? Ubuntu ? Suse ? Debian ?
- Regarding Fedora, I see that now it is version 8 available on the web, but on R website I can only see R Fedora 7 version (no F8); so?does R for Fedora 7 work with Fedora 8 ?

Thanks

Philippe Guardiola

Re: from XPPro to Linux what distribution to use for R ?

Uwe Ligges

[hidden email] wrote:
> Dear R users
>
> I m planning to move to Linux to use R (currently under Win XPPro on a 32bit PC with 4 Go RAM), I have 2 questions:
> - is there a recommended "version/distribution" of Linux to run?R and Bioconductor packages: Fedora ? Ubuntu ? Suse ? Debian ?

They all will work with R.

> - Regarding Fedora, I see that now it is version 8 available on the web, but on R website I can only see R Fedora 7 version (no F8); so?does R for Fedora 7 work with Fedora 8 ?

I'd recommend to compile your version of R yourself from sources. It's
easy, just follow the R Installation and Administration manual.

Uwe Ligges

> Thanks
>

> Philippe Guardiola

Re: from XPPro to Linux what distribution to use for R ?

Prof Brian Ripley
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear R users
>
> I m planning to move to Linux to use R (currently under Win XPPro on a 32bit PC with 4 Go RAM), I have 2 questions:

> - is there a recommended "version/distribution" of Linux to run?R and
> Bioconductor packages: Fedora ? Ubuntu ? Suse ? Debian ?

Any of those.  I'd say the main reasons for choosing a Linux distribution
should be the availability of support first and individual preference
second.  There are so many distributions just because none is best for
everyone.

> - Regarding Fedora, I see that now it is version 8 available on the web,
> but on R website I can only see R Fedora 7 version (no F8); so?does R
> for Fedora 7 work with Fedora 8 ?

F8 was released on Thursday: it has R RPMs available as part of Fedora.
You can also build from the sources.  I expect RPMs will arrive on CRAN in
a few days, but there are a few issues that might delay them (one is
reported in this thread
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-November/047397.html).

Although there are binaries on CRAN for several distributions, they are
also to found on some of the distributions' own repositories and
elsewhere.

Re: from XPPro to Linux what distribution to use for R ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 10 November 2007 at 13:41, Uwe Ligges wrote:
| [hidden email] wrote:
[...]
| I'd recommend to compile your version of R yourself from sources. It's
| easy, just follow the R Installation and Administration manual.

I think you need a more nuanced view than to always recommend compilation
from source.  There are a lot of small details one can get wrong which would
still result in a version of R that runs, but possibly with fewer
capabilities(), without automatic support for Atlas BLAS, or some other
shortcoming.  We see enough messages from people who fail outright to build R
themselves.

Many distributions will work with R, and may want to choose one that your
friends or colleagues are familiar with in case you need help.

That said, some Linux distributions have more complete R support than others
when it comes to related packages.  Debian and Ubuntu several dozen CRAN
packages pre-built, and also offer ESS (for working with R via Emacs), Ggobi
(another visualisation package that can be accessed from R), RPy (Python
interface) and more.  So barring other considerations, I'd say try Debian or
Ubuntu.

Lastly, Brian Ripley remarked

On 10 November 2007 at 14:46, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
[...]
| Although there are binaries on CRAN for several distributions, they are
| also to found on some of the distributions' own repositories and
| elsewhere.

which is true, yet the in-distro version may also be dated and the reason why
we keep current versions of R in the bin/linux/debian and bin/linux/ubuntu
directories, thanks to the work of Vincent and Johannes.

Dirk