ggplot2 Xlim

Felipe Carrillo
Hi: I need some help.
 I am ploting a bar graph but I can't adjust my x axis scale
 I use this code:
      i <-  qplot(ForkLength,Number,data=FL,geom="bar")
    i + geom_bar(colour="blue",fill="grey65") # too crowded

     FL_dat <- ggplot(FL,aes(x=ForkLength,y=Number)) + geom_bar(colour="green",fill="grey65")
    FL_dat + scale_x_continuous(limits=c(20,170)) # Can't see anything

FL Number
29 22.9
30 63.4
31 199.3
32 629.6
33 2250.1
34 7452.5
35 19352.9
36 17655.5
37 13020.6
38 5856.0
39 2039.4
40 1261.2
41 780.2
42 826.6
43 739.0
44 608.2
45 694.3
46 599.5
47 690.4
48 762.9
49 594.6
50 771.7
51 695.3
52 784.5
53 780.1
54 823.6
55 883.2
56 747.6
57 834.4
58 716.7
59 632.8
60 670.4
61 511.0
62 577.4
63 538.0
64 452.3
65 451.7
66 355.7
67 294.1
68 278.8
69 165.5
70 208.7
71 161.6
72 159.9
73 100.9
74 84.4
75 110.3
76 69.3
77 60.7
78 63.2
79 28.8
80 46.1
81 34.6
82 37.1
83 35.5
84 35.7
85 24.3
86 17.5
87 24.9
88 21.5
89 17.4
90 14.0
91 7.8
92 10.1
93 6.8
94 2.9
95 4.0
96 7.3
97 4.6
98 4.0
99 1.7
100 5.0
101 11.3
102 3.0
103 5.2
104 9.4
105 6.4
106 1.0
107 8.5
108 8.6
109 10.1
110 9.0
111 11.7
112 16.0
113 3.1
114 7.6
115 3.9
116 7.0
117 6.9
118 8.1
119 2.0
121 3.7
122 1.9
123 4.0
124 6.3
126 2.0
127 2.0
128 1.0
129 2.0
132 2.0
134 7.3
135 1.0
136 1.0
139 1.0
142 1.0
145 1.0
152 2.0
161 2.5
172 1.0

Felipe D. Carrillo
Supervisory Fishery Biologist
Department of the Interior
US Fish & Wildlife Service
California, USA

Re: ggplot2 Xlim

ssefick
would you make this reproducible, please.  Think cut and paste out of
email into R.

?dput

my guess would be the breaks argument

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Felipe Carrillo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi: I need some help.
>  I am ploting a bar graph but I can't adjust my x axis scale
>  I use this code:
>      i <-  qplot(ForkLength,Number,data=FL,geom="bar")
>    i + geom_bar(colour="blue",fill="grey65") # too crowded
>
>     FL_dat <- ggplot(FL,aes(x=ForkLength,y=Number)) + geom_bar(colour="green",fill="grey65")
>    FL_dat + scale_x_continuous(limits=c(20,170)) # Can't see anything

> [...]

Stephen Sefick

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                                                -K. Mullis

Re: ggplot2 Xlim

wfolta
I'm just a ggplot2 beginner, but...

It seems to me that you're mixing continuous and factor variables/concepts. It looks to me as if ForkLength and Number are continuous values. But you'll need to convert ForkLength into a factor before using geom="bar". I do that and the graph "works" but the bars are extremely busy, which I assume is what you mean by "crowded".

As I try several different things, I'm seeing error messages. Are you not seeing error messages?

Is the bottom line that you simply want to display some continuous data in a histogram-ish style, and you don't like the default "binning" of Number for each of many ForkLengths?

If you simply use geom="line", things look clear and simple, no need to bin or simplify or...

If you do end up using geom="bar", I believe the mistake you're making -- and I see an error message when I try -- is that you are using scale_x_continuous whereas the X axis is discrete, so you should be using scale_x_discrete. But then it will take some R magic to combine your "bins" into wider bins so you get a "less crowded" look.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

   Wayne

Felipe Carrillo wrote
Hi: I need some help.
 I am ploting a bar graph but I can't adjust my x axis scale
 I use this code:
      i <-  qplot(ForkLength,Number,data=FL,geom="bar")
    i + geom_bar(colour="blue",fill="grey65") # too crowded

     FL_dat <- ggplot(FL,aes(x=ForkLength,y=Number)) + geom_bar(colour="green",fill="grey65")
    FL_dat + scale_x_continuous(limits=c(20,170)) # Can't see anything

FL Number
29 22.9
30 63.4
31 199.3
32 629.6
33 2250.1

Re: ggplot2 Xlim

Felipe Carrillo
Wayne:
What's crowded are my x axis labels. The bars look fine on my graph but the labels are being displayed from 29 to 170 one by one. I need something like a seq(29,170 by:10) or something like that. I don't want to treat my FL as factor because I don't want a bar per each FL value, I only want to count the number of FL at any given FL size. Thanks

> It seems to me that you're mixing continuous and factor
> variables/concepts.
> It looks to me as if ForkLength and Number are continuous
> values. But you'll
> need to convert ForkLength into a factor before using
> geom="bar". I do that
> and the graph "works" but the bars are extremely
> busy, which I assume is
> what you mean by "crowded".
>
> As I try several different things, I'm seeing error
> messages. Are you not
> seeing error messages?
>
> Is the bottom line that you simply want to display some
> continuous data in a
> histogram-ish style, and you don't like the default
> "binning" of Number for
> each of many ForkLengths?
>
> If you simply use geom="line", things look clear
> and simple, no need to bin
> or simplify or...
>
> If you do end up using geom="bar", I believe the
> mistake you're making --
> and I see an error message when I try -- is that you are
> using
> scale_x_continuous whereas the X axis is discrete, so you
> should be using
> scale_x_discrete. But then it will take some R magic to
> combine your "bins"
> into wider bins so you get a "less crowded" look.
>
> Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding?
>
>    Wayne
>

> Felipe Carrillo wrote:
> >
> > Hi: I need some help.
> >  I am ploting a bar graph but I can't adjust my x
> axis scale
> >  I use this code:
> >       i <-
> qplot(ForkLength,Number,data=FL,geom="bar")
> >     i +
> geom_bar(colour="blue",fill="grey65") #
> too crowded
> >
> >      FL_dat <-
> ggplot(FL,aes(x=ForkLength,y=Number)) +
> >
> geom_bar(colour="green",fill="grey65")
> >     FL_dat + scale_x_continuous(limits=c(20,170)) #
> Can't see anything
> >
> > FL Number
> > 29 22.9
> > 30 63.4
> > 31 199.3
> > 32 629.6
> > 33 2250.1

> reproducible code.

Re: ggplot2 Xlim

hadley wickham
Hi Felipe,

It sounds like ForkLength is a factor - what deos str(FL) tell you?
You might also need geom_bar(..., stat = "identity") since your data
are pretabulated.

Hadley

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Felipe Carrillo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne:
> What's crowded are my x axis labels. The bars look fine on my graph but the labels are being displayed from 29 to 170 one by one. I need something like a seq(29,170 by:10) or something like that. I don't want to treat my FL as factor because I don't want a bar per each FL value, I only want to count the number of FL at any given FL size. Thanks

http://had.co.nz/

Re: ggplot2 Xlim

Felipe Carrillo
Thanks Hadley: I had already gone to your website and stat="identity" is what I needed.