gstat data formatting

EdmAB
Hello,

I am interested in using the hscat command in the gstat package to create h-scatterplots of snow depth measurements over a given area (spatial autocorrelation). Unfortunately I do not understand how to format my data for import into R for use with the hscat command. I have checked the gstat manual and it says to use grid maps in ascii format, but my data is in table format (ID, X, Y, Z) and saved as *.txt.

Do I need to import my .txt file into a program such as ArcMap, draw a map, save it in ascii format, and then import the ascii file into R?
Or can I skip the middle steps and use an imported .txt file directly with the hscat command?

Thank you,
- EdmAB