help with filled.contour() -

Jonathan Hughes

Dear all,
I can't figure out a way to have more than one plot using filled.contour() in a single plate. I tried to use layout() or par(), but the way filled.contour() is written seems to override those commands.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Jonathan

Re: help with filled.contour() -

Robert Douglas Kinley
Take a look at the code for filled.contour().

You'll find a line beginning  .Internal(filledcontour(

You can adapt this line and the lines around it to achieve what you want.

Good luck

        Bob Kinley

I can't figure out a way to have more than one plot using filled.contour() in a single plate. I tried to use layout() or par(), but the way filled.contour() is written seems to override those commands.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Jonathan

Re: help with filled.contour() -

David Winsemius

On Jul 3, 2012, at 9:01 PM, Jonathan Hughes wrote:

> Dear all,
> I can't figure out a way to have more than one plot using
> filled.contour() in a single plate. I tried to use layout() or
> par(), but the way filled.contour() is written seems to override
> those commands.
> Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
> Jonathan
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

This is the code in filled.contour that is overriding you par() efforts.

mar.orig <- (par.orig <- par(c("mar", "las", "mfrow")))$mar
     on.exit(par(par.orig))
     w <- (3 + mar.orig[2L]) * par("csi") * 2.54
     layout(matrix(c(2, 1), ncol = 2L), widths = c(1, lcm(w)))
     par(las = las)
     mar <- mar.orig
     mar[4L] <- mar[2L]
     mar[2L] <- 1
     par(mar = mar)
     plot.new()

You could rewrite the function to allocate space differently.

Note this portion of the layout help page:

"These functions are totally incompatible with the other mechanisms
for arranging plots on a device: par(mfrow),par(mfcol) and
split.screen."

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: help with filled.contour() -

Rui Barradas

You can use .filled.contour (with initial dot) with par. I've tested it
with one of the help page examples, reformulated to use the args of
.filled.contour and it works.

x <- y <- seq(-4*pi, 4*pi, len = 100)
r <- sqrt(outer(x^2, y^2, "+"))
z <- cos(r^2)*exp(-r/(2*pi))
zlim <- range(z, finite=TRUE)
#
levels <- pretty(zlim, 20)
col <- heat.colors(20)
#
op <- par(mfrow=c(1, 2))
plot.new()
.filled.contour(x, y, z, levels = levels, col=col)
plot.new()
.filled.contour(x, y, z, levels = levels, col=col)
par(op)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas