how to check as CRAN with alternative BLAS?

how to check as CRAN with alternative BLAS?

steven pav
One of my packages is slated to be archived from CRAN due to failures when
the ATLAS BLAS is used. I am unable to replicate the error on my machine
under R 3.6.1 using the atlas library from ubuntu (seems to be 3.10.2-9,
while the good professor is using 3.10.3 per
https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Rblas/README.txt ). I also tried the
rocker/r-base with R 3.6.2
and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/atlas/libblas.so.3.10.3 (Dockerfile here:
https://gist.github.com/shabbychef/efaa048f0f715dcf89fd39f2e28a402d ), but
was unable to replicate the error there. Is there some way to *really* test
as CRAN-with-atlas? I would prefer a dockerized solution, or failing that,
a travis CI recipe.

thanks,

--

--sep

Re: how to check as CRAN with alternative BLAS?

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 29 December 2019 at 16:39, steven pav wrote:
| One of my packages is slated to be archived from CRAN due to failures when
| the ATLAS BLAS is used. I am unable to replicate the error on my machine
| under R 3.6.1 using the atlas library from ubuntu (seems to be 3.10.2-9,
| while the good professor is using 3.10.3 per
| https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Rblas/README.txt ). I also tried the
| rocker/r-base with R 3.6.2
| and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/atlas/libblas.so.3.10.3 (Dockerfile here:
| https://gist.github.com/shabbychef/efaa048f0f715dcf89fd39f2e28a402d ), but
| was unable to replicate the error there. Is there some way to *really* test
| as CRAN-with-atlas? I would prefer a dockerized solution, or failing that,
| a travis CI recipe.

That CRAN checks cannot always be replicated outside of CRAN is a real issue.

This has been brought up before, and some of us wanted to see about improving
it, possibly relying on Docker---but as you know life is short, spare time is
generally missing, and other shiny things can distract us.  So nothing to
report yet. Which is a bummer.

Dirk

Re: how to check as CRAN with alternative BLAS?

Juan Telleria Ruiz de Aguirre
Give a try to "rhub":

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rhub/index.html

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rhub/vignettes/local-debugging.html

Which allows to try different os, and system configurations :)

Hope it works!