how to summarize results from studies?

willemdafour
Hello everyone

I have some studies with results from the same outcome scale. I want to merge them into 1 summarised estimated result and its standard deviation. How do I do that in R?

Thank you very much for your help!
Frederik

Re: how to summarize results from studies?

R help mailing list-2
Hi,

It sounds like you will want to engage in a meta-analysis.

There is a CRAN task view here:

  https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MetaAnalysis.html

that would be relevant in pointing you to tools in R that can support that approach.

That being said, the details of specific methodologies and conceptual assistance would be beyond the scope of this list. You should consider consulting a local statistician for assistance with that, if needed.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

> On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Frederik Feys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone
>
> I have some studies with results from the same outcome scale. I want to merge them into 1 summarised estimated result and its standard deviation. How do I do that in R?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
> Frederik

Re: how to summarize results from studies?

Michael Dewey-3
Dear Frederik

There is also a mailing list dedicated to meta-analysis in R

Michael

On 01/07/2020 16:40, Marc Schwartz via R-help wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you will want to engage in a meta-analysis.
>
> There is a CRAN task view here:
>
>    https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MetaAnalysis.html
>
> that would be relevant in pointing you to tools in R that can support that approach.
>
> That being said, the details of specific methodologies and conceptual assistance would be beyond the scope of this list. You should consider consulting a local statistician for assistance with that, if needed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
>> On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Frederik Feys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I have some studies with results from the same outcome scale. I want to merge them into 1 summarised estimated result and its standard deviation. How do I do that in R?
>>
>> Thank you very much for your help!
>> Frederik

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: how to summarize results from studies?

willemdafour
Thank you Marc!

I ended up using metafor library:

res_UK <- escalc(mi=data_UK$GAD.7_mean, sdi=data_UK$weight_pred, ni=data_UK$GAD.7_mean_N, measure = "MN”)

rma(yi, vi, data=res_UK, method="REML”)

> Op 1 jul. 2020, om 17:40 heeft Marc Schwartz <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you will want to engage in a meta-analysis.
>
> There is a CRAN task view here:
>
>  https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MetaAnalysis.html
>
> that would be relevant in pointing you to tools in R that can support that approach.
>
> That being said, the details of specific methodologies and conceptual assistance would be beyond the scope of this list. You should consider consulting a local statistician for assistance with that, if needed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
>> On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Frederik Feys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I have some studies with results from the same outcome scale. I want to merge them into 1 summarised estimated result and its standard deviation. How do I do that in R?
>>
>> Thank you very much for your help!
>> Frederik

Re: how to summarize results from studies?

willemdafour
Thank you Michael!

> Op 1 jul. 2020, om 19:07 heeft Michael Dewey <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Dear Frederik
>
> There is also a mailing list dedicated to meta-analysis in R

> Michael
>

> On 01/07/2020 16:40, Marc Schwartz via R-help wrote:
>> Hi,
>> It sounds like you will want to engage in a meta-analysis.
>> There is a CRAN task view here:
>>   https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MetaAnalysis.html
>> that would be relevant in pointing you to tools in R that can support that approach.
>> That being said, the details of specific methodologies and conceptual assistance would be beyond the scope of this list. You should consider consulting a local statistician for assistance with that, if needed.
>> Regards,
>> Marc Schwartz
>>> On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Frederik Feys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone
>>>
>>> I have some studies with results from the same outcome scale. I want to merge them into 1 summarised estimated result and its standard deviation. How do I do that in R?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your help!
>>> Frederik

> Michael
> http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: how to summarize results from studies?

R help mailing list-2
Michael,

Thanks for the reminder on that.

Frederik, sometimes, with an emphasis on sometimes, the r-sig-* lists are willing to go beyond narrow R programming assistance, and offer domain specific conceptual assistance, which would otherwise be off-topic for r-help.

You might look through the archives of that list to get a sense for the subject matter that has been covered there:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/ <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/>

I might also mention that a Google search using "meta analysis in R", comes up with a number of relevant hits, including various tutorials.

Regards,

Marc