how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
and right ...

Could anybody please help me?

Thanks

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
For example, "fix" does have scrolling, but could we have a grid based or
cell based viewer/editor just like Excel sheet or like Matlab's object
editor?

For some weird reason, "fix" can only show numbers a weird format...

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
> and right ...
>
> Could anybody please help me?
>
> Thanks

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
And "fix" doesn't show the full content...

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For example, "fix" does have scrolling, but could we have a grid based or
> cell based viewer/editor just like Excel sheet or like Matlab's object
> editor?
>
> For some weird reason, "fix" can only show numbers a weird format...
>
>  On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
>> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
>> and right ...
>>
>> Could anybody please help me?
>>
>> Thanks

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
any way to edit/check data?!

Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
references! -- would be very welcome.

 My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
useful without the specifics of the problem.

Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the CRAN
GUI task view, R Commander, etc.

-- Bert

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
> and right ...
>
> Could anybody please help me?
>
> Thanks

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Internal Contact Info:
Phone: 467-7374
Website:

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
And is there a way to show variables side-by-side for comparison?

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And "fix" doesn't show the full content...
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For example, "fix" does have scrolling, but could we have a grid based or
>> cell based viewer/editor just like Excel sheet or like Matlab's object
>> editor?
>>
>> For some weird reason, "fix" can only show numbers a weird format...
>>
>>  On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
>>> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
>>> and right ...
>>>
>>> Could anybody please help me?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

jholtman
Have you tried

?View
?edit

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
> any way to edit/check data?!
>
> Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
> statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
> any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
> systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
> references! -- would be very welcome.
>
>  My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
> useful without the specifics of the problem.
>
> Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the CRAN
> GUI task view, R Commander, etc.
>
> -- Bert
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
>> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
>> and right ...
>>
>> Could anybody please help me?
>>
>> Thanks

> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>
> Internal Contact Info:
> Phone: 467-7374
> Website:
> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
View doesn't allow editing? And not multi-window so I cannot put variables
side-by-side for comparsion? Thanks!

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried
>
> ?View
> ?edit
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>  > ... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
> > any way to edit/check data?!
> >
> > Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
> > statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
> > any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
> > systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
> > references! -- would be very welcome.
> >
> >  My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
> > useful without the specifics of the problem.
> >
> > Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the CRAN
> > GUI task view, R Commander, etc.
> >
> > -- Bert
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
> >> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow,
> left
> >> and right ...
> >>
> >> Could anybody please help me?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> > --
> >
> > Bert Gunter
> > Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
> >
> > Internal Contact Info:
> > Phone: 467-7374
> > Website:
> >
> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

> Jim Holtman
> Data Munger Guru
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

David Winsemius

On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:37 PM, jim holtman wrote:

> Have you tried
>
> ?View
> ?edit

Or:

?pairs
help(splom, package=lattice)

(My preference is plot(density()) but the 2d density plots are slow so
also use:

help(hexbin, package=hexbin)

--
david.

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> ... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
>> any way to edit/check data?!
>>
>> Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
>> statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
>> any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
>> systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
>> references! -- would be very welcome.
>>
>>  My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
>> useful without the specifics of the problem.
>>
>> Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the
>> CRAN
>> GUI task view, R Commander, etc.
>>
>> -- Bert
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
>>> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and
>>> dow, left
>>> and right ...
>>>
>>> Could anybody please help me?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> --
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>>
>> Internal Contact Info:
>> Phone: 467-7374
>> Website:
>> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

> Jim Holtman
> Data Munger Guru
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

jholtman
'edit' does allow you to change it.  If all else fails, export to
Excel, split the screen and then synchronize the two displays.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> View doesn't allow editing? And not multi-window so I cannot put variables
> side-by-side for comparsion? Thanks!
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried
>>
>> ?View
>> ?edit
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > ... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
>> > any way to edit/check data?!
>> >
>> > Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
>> > statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
>> > any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
>> > systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
>> > references! -- would be very welcome.
>> >
>> >  My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
>> > useful without the specifics of the problem.
>> >
>> > Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the CRAN
>> > GUI task view, R Commander, etc.
>> >
>> > -- Bert

>> > --
>> >
>> > Bert Gunter
>> > Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>> >
>> > Internal Contact Info:
>> > Phone: 467-7374
>> > Website:
>> >
>> > http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Data Munger Guru
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

--
Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
Are you responding to my question?

I don't understand your answer. How's my question related to "lattice"?

Thanks

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:37 PM, jim holtman wrote:
>
> Have you tried
>>
>> ?View
>> ?edit
>>

> Or:
>
> ?pairs
> help(splom, package=lattice)
>
> (My preference is plot(density()) but the 2d density plots are slow so
> also use:
>
> help(hexbin, package=hexbin)
>
> --
> david.
>

>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ... and do you really think perusing thousands of numbers by eye is
>>> any way to edit/check data?!
>>>
>>> Personal viewpoint: I would say that this is a large area of
>>> statistics and data analysis that the discipline fails to address in
>>> any systematic way ... perhaps because there is no way to address it
>>> systematically? Contrary views and corrections -- especially
>>> references! -- would be very welcome.
>>>
>>>  My advice would be: graphics! -- but I can't provide anything more
>>> useful without the specifics of the problem.
>>>
>>> Some packages may provide the interactivity you seek -- check the CRAN
>>> GUI task view, R Commander, etc.
>>>
>>> -- Bert

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bert Gunter
>>> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>>>
>>> Internal Contact Info:
>>> Phone: 467-7374
>>> Website:
>>> http://pharmadevelopment.**roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-**
>>> functional-groups/pdb-**biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm<http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm>

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Data Munger Guru
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

> David Winsemius, MD
> West Hartford, CT

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
In R-Studio, "edit" gives non-grid based format which is similar to "fix"...

But exporting to Excel is time-consuming...

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 'edit' does allow you to change it.  If all else fails, export to
> Excel, split the screen and then synchronize the two displays.
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > View doesn't allow editing? And not multi-window so I cannot put
> variables
> > side-by-side for comparsion? Thanks!
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you tried
> >>
> >> ?View
> >> ?edit

> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

> >> --
> >> Jim Holtman
> >> Data Munger Guru
> >>
> >> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> >> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.
> >

> --
> Jim Holtman
> Data Munger Guru
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

Michael Weylandt
I think what most everyone is getting at is that the visual identification of numeric outliers is an exceedingly difficult task and one we humans are not well evolved for. Rather they are all suggesting you use visual techniques to spot and fix outliers individually. This practice has a long and reputable history in statistics and has been shown to be far more efficient than simply scanning pages of numbers for a single misplaced decimal. In conjunction, I'd also recommend use of the identify() function, which serves just this purpose.

If you have so much data that the csv export is unbearably slow it seems unlikely you can check it all by hand.

Another, more general, methodology if you are worried about data corruption is to use robust statistics when applicable.

Michael

On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:27 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In R-Studio, "edit" gives non-grid based format which is similar to "fix"...
>
> But exporting to Excel is time-consuming...
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 'edit' does allow you to change it.  If all else fails, export to
>> Excel, split the screen and then synchronize the two displays.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> View doesn't allow editing? And not multi-window so I cannot put
>> variables
>>> side-by-side for comparsion? Thanks!

>> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Data Munger Guru
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
 Too bad...

Browse[2]> data.entry(x_range) Error in dataentry(data, modes) : Editing of
matrix and data.frame objects is not currently supported in RStudio

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In R-Studio, "edit" gives non-grid based format which is similar to
> "fix"...
>
> But exporting to Excel is time-consuming...
>
>  On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 'edit' does allow you to change it.  If all else fails, export to
>> Excel, split the screen and then synchronize the two displays.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > View doesn't allow editing? And not multi-window so I cannot put
>> variables
>> > side-by-side for comparsion? Thanks!

>> CRAN

>> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Data Munger Guru
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

LosemindL
I didn't mean the speed of saving the file is slow... I meant the manual
procedures of exporting and then opening Excel, etc. is slow and
inconvenient and unproductive...

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM, R. Michael Weylandt <
[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think what most everyone is getting at is that the visual identification
> of numeric outliers is an exceedingly difficult task and one we humans are
> not well evolved for. Rather they are all suggesting you use visual
> techniques to spot and fix outliers individually. This practice has a long
> and reputable history in statistics and has been shown to be far more
> efficient than simply scanning pages of numbers for a single misplaced
> decimal. In conjunction, I'd also recommend use of the identify() function,
> which serves just this purpose.
>
> If you have so much data that the csv export is unbearably slow it seems
> unlikely you can check it all by hand.
>
> Another, more general, methodology if you are worried about data
> corruption is to use robust statistics when applicable.
>
> Michael
>
> On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:27 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In R-Studio, "edit" gives non-grid based format which is similar to
> "fix"...
> >
> > But exporting to Excel is time-consuming...
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> 'edit' does allow you to change it.  If all else fails, export to
> >> Excel, split the screen and then synchronize the two displays.

> >> variables

> CRAN

> <http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>

> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

> <http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>

> >> --
> >> Jim Holtman
> >> Data Munger Guru
> >>
> >> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> >> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.
> >>

>  >    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

Liviu Andronic
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I didn't mean the speed of saving the file is slow... I meant the manual
> procedures of exporting and then opening Excel, etc. is slow and
> inconvenient and unproductive...

You may want to use RExcel then.

Liviu

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM, R. Michael Weylandt <
> [hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think what most everyone is getting at is that the visual identification
>> of numeric outliers is an exceedingly difficult task and one we humans are
>> not well evolved for. Rather they are all suggesting you use visual
>> techniques to spot and fix outliers individually. This practice has a long
>> and reputable history in statistics and has been shown to be far more
>> efficient than simply scanning pages of numbers for a single misplaced
>> decimal. In conjunction, I'd also recommend use of the identify() function,
>> which serves just this purpose.
>>
>> If you have so much data that the csv export is unbearably slow it seems
>> unlikely you can check it all by hand.
>>
>> Another, more general, methodology if you are worried about data
>> corruption is to use robust statistics when applicable.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:27 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > In R-Studio, "edit" gives non-grid based format which is similar to
>> "fix"...
>> >
>> > But exporting to Excel is time-consuming...

>> CRAN

>> <http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>

>> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

>> <http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>

>>  >    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html<http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>

Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

Milan Bouchet-Valat
Le lundi 05 décembre 2011 à 19:01 -0600, Michael a écrit :
> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
> and right ...
>
> Could anybody please help me?
RKWard has a good data editor, and you can open several objects at the
same time in tabs. But it will not probably work if your data set is
really huge (here it works very well with a few thousand rows, though).

If you need to see a selection of variables in parallel, ordering the
variables so that they're next to each other is probably a good
solution.

Cheers

Re: how to view/edit large matrix/array in R?

jverzaniNWBKZ
Michael <comtech.usa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> head, tail and fix commands don't really work well if I have large
> matrix/array for which I would like to be able to scroll up and dow, left
> and right ...
>
> Could anybody please help me?
>
> Thanks
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

You might look into the RGtk2Extras package and find the dfedit. You could
also embed that in some custom GUI to show variables, as you want. The
package requires RGtk2, and hence the Gtk libraries to be installed.
The data frame editor there can gracefully handle large data sets.