including additional packages in Recommended

including additional packages in Recommended

Sundar Dorai-Raj
Hi, R-devel,

I'm trying to create a modified distribution of R to include several
packages are not part of the CRAN version. I.e. When I untar
R-2.6.2.tar.gz I would like to include my package "foo_1.0-0.tar.gz" in
'src/library/Recommended' so that when a user builds my version of R
they also get my package and don't have to explicitly do
install.packages. I searched the archives looking at ways to change the
Makefile in 'src/library' but came up empty. I suspect the change has to
do with $R_PKGS_BASE though I'm unsure.

Thanks,

--sundar

Re: including additional packages in Recommended

Prof Brian Ripley
Look in share/make/vars.mk.  BASE means base, not recommended, believe it
or not.  You would need to add to R_PKGS_RECOMMENDED_SOURCES and
R_PKGS_RECOMMENDED.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Hi, R-devel,
>
> I'm trying to create a modified distribution of R to include several
> packages are not part of the CRAN version. I.e. When I untar
> R-2.6.2.tar.gz I would like to include my package "foo_1.0-0.tar.gz" in
> 'src/library/Recommended' so that when a user builds my version of R
> they also get my package and don't have to explicitly do
> install.packages. I searched the archives looking at ways to change the
> Makefile in 'src/library' but came up empty. I suspect the change has to
> do with $R_PKGS_BASE though I'm unsure.

We don't encourage it.  We do describe how to do this for the Windows
installer , but on a Unix-alike you can just use a wrapper script to
install R and then run 'R CMD INSTALL foo_1.0-0.tar.gz'.

Re: including additional packages in Recommended

Sundar Dorai-Raj
Hi, Prof. Ripley (and Berwin for his off-list reply),

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know this is not the recommended mode. I
guessed as much when I could not find a simple answer in R-admin. The is
actually our current mode of installation at the client. But some
suggestions from management have veered my in this direction.

Thanks,

--sundar