install R

yueli7
Hello,

I am trying to install R.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yue

li@li-HP-Pavilion-Desktop-590-p0xxx:~/R-3.6.0$ ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for pwd... /bin/pwd
checking whether builddir is srcdir... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for which... /usr/bin/which
checking for less... /usr/bin/less
checking for gtar... no
checking for gnutar... no
checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for tex... no
checking for pdftex... no
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals
checking for pdflatex... no
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of vignettes and help pages
checking for makeindex... no
checking for texi2any... no
configure: WARNING: you cannot build info or HTML versions of the R manuals
checking for texi2dvi... no
checking for kpsewhich... no
checking for latex inconsolata package... checking for unzip... /usr/bin/unzip
checking for zip... /usr/bin/zip
checking for gzip... /bin/gzip
checking for bzip2... /bin/bzip2
checking for firefox... /usr/bin/firefox
using default browser ... /usr/bin/firefox
checking for acroread... no
checking for acroread4... no
checking for xdg-open... /usr/bin/xdg-open
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for yacc... no
checking for notangle... false
checking for realpath... /usr/bin/realpath
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
looking for a modern Fortran compiler
checking for gfortran... no
checking for g95... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for ifort... no
checking for ifc... no
checking for efc... no
checking for pgfortran... no
checking for pgf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for ftn... no
checking for nagfor... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for f90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for pghpf... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for g77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for f77... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for cf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
configure: error: No Fortran compiler found

Re: install R

Eric Berger
Do a web search such as "ubuntu install fortran"  (or replace ubuntu by
your distribution if it's different, e.g. debian or centos or ..)
e.g. the above search gives a result of the following link which provides
the appropriate commands

https://fossnaija.com/how-to-install-fortran-compiler-in-linux/

Good luck

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 4:37 PM yueli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> checking for makeindex... no
> checking for texi2any... no
> configure: WARNING: you cannot build info or HTML versions of the R manuals
> checking for texi2dvi... no
> checking for kpsewhich... no
> checking for latex inconsolata package... checking for unzip...
> /usr/bin/unzip
> checking for zip... /usr/bin/zip
> checking for gzip... /bin/gzip
> checking for bzip2... /bin/bzip2
> checking for firefox... /usr/bin/firefox
> using default browser ... /usr/bin/firefox
> checking for acroread... no
> checking for acroread4... no
> checking for xdg-open... /usr/bin/xdg-open
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for bison... no
> checking for byacc... no
> checking for yacc... no
> checking for notangle... false
> checking for realpath... /usr/bin/realpath
> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking minix/config.h usability... no
> checking minix/config.h presence... no
> checking for minix/config.h... no
> checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
> looking for a modern Fortran compiler
> checking for gfortran... no
> checking for g95... no
> checking for xlf95... no
> checking for f95... no
> checking for fort... no
> checking for ifort... no
> checking for ifc... no
> checking for efc... no
> checking for pgfortran... no
> checking for pgf95... no
> checking for lf95... no
> checking for ftn... no
> checking for nagfor... no
> checking for xlf90... no
> checking for f90... no
> checking for pgf90... no
> checking for pghpf... no
> checking for epcf90... no
> checking for g77... no
> checking for xlf... no
> checking for f77... no
> checking for frt... no
> checking for pgf77... no
> checking for cf77... no
> checking for fort77... no
> checking for fl32... no
> checking for af77... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
> checking whether  accepts -g... no
> configure: error: No Fortran compiler found

Sarah Goslee

If you don't want to install the binary for your version of linux,
then you must install the prerequisites first.

Notably, you have to have a compiler if you want to compile R from source!

Here's a list: https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Essential-and-useful-other-programs-under-a-Unix_002dalike

But your standard package installation method (like apt or dnf)
probably can install a pre-built binary for you. If you aren't
familiar with compiling software, that's the way to go.

Sarah

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:37 AM yueli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> checking for efc... no
> checking for pgfortran... no
> checking for pgf95... no
> checking for lf95... no
> checking for ftn... no
> checking for nagfor... no
> checking for xlf90... no
> checking for f90... no
> checking for pgf90... no
> checking for pghpf... no
> checking for epcf90... no
> checking for g77... no
> checking for xlf... no
> checking for f77... no
> checking for frt... no
> checking for pgf77... no
> checking for cf77... no
> checking for fort77... no
> checking for fl32... no
> checking for af77... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
> checking whether  accepts -g... no
> configure: error: No Fortran compiler found

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.numberwright.com

Re: install R

R help mailing list-2
On Wed, 8 May 2019 21:05:29 +0800 (CST)
yueli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am trying to install R.
>

> Thanks in advance for any help!
>

> Yue

It appears that your GCC compiler installation doesn't include all the
compilers that can come with it.  All those "no's" listed in your
output listing should be "yes" to compile R, its help files, and
various compiled material required by add-on packages (or just about
anything else that needs a compiler other than vanilla C). At a
minimum you should have both "gfortran" and "g++" in your /usr/bin
directory.  You can see from your output that the configure routine
looks for several different alternatives for fortran compiler and none
are found.

As it stands, the only compiler you seem to have enabled appears to
be the basic GNU C compiler. It looks as if you might have a minimal
desktop system installed, but linux is open source, which means that to
fully use it, you will want various compilers for any software that
comes as source you want to compile.  Your alternative with R
would be to install the binary, but the lack of compilers will still be
a problem with many packages you may want to use in R, since they too
often use at least the Fortran compiler, and I'm pretty sure I have
see g++ called as well.

JDougherty

Re: install R

Paul Bivand
I'd encourage you to install a full build system for your linux. That
way you are able to compile any contributed packages you may want.

Your linux package manager (apt, dnf, urpmi etc) may be able to
provide an R compiled package, which with the exception of
Debian/Ubuntu is likely to be several versions out of date. However,
they will provide a command to install all the things needed to
compile R.

Something like dnf builddep R-cran-base-3.5.0.src.rpm will install all
the build dependencies for R 3.5.0, which should be good for 3.6.0
too. The names of the source file differ between distributions.

Good luck

Paul Bivand