installing a new package

zmontaze
Dear all,
I have prepared a new package to install in R, I tried to check my package
and I got the following message
232sub141:~ zahra$ R CMD check /Users/zahra/Desktop/HighProbability
* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory '/Users/zahra/HighProbability.Rcheck'
* using R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
* checking for file 'HighProbability/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'HighProbability' version '1.0-3'
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... OK
* checking whether package 'HighProbability' can be installed ... OK
* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking top-level files ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
Error in library(HighProbability) :
  'HighProbability' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
Execution halted

It looks like this package has a loading problem: see the messages for
details.

I don't know what the "Error in library(package name)" means and how can I
solve it. I work with Mac.
I'll appreciate it if you could help me.
All the best,
Zahra

Re: installing a new package

Liviu Andronic
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  * checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
>  Error in library(HighProbability) :
>   'HighProbability' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
>  Execution halted

Although it might be obvious, can you load this package manually, that
is running
library(HighProbability)
at the R prompt? And is this package a dependency of your own package?

Liviu

Re: installing a new package

Don MacQueen
At the risk of oversimplifying, there are three steps to developing
and using a package:

1) build
2) install
3) load

Evidently your package does steps 1 and 2 but not 3.

Furthermore, it tells you, "not a valid package", and says something
that is suggestive of a version problem:
   "installed < 2.0.0"

I think you have to look very carefully at your package and look for
what is invalid about it. There must be some requirement of package
structure, or contents, or version of something, that your package
doesn't meet or violates.

Since your package can be installed, go into R, and try
   require(HighProbability)
but set the verbose argument to something that gives more information
than the default. Maybe that will give some helpful information, more
than the check provides.

Either that, or delve deeply into the CMD check script(s) and find
out exactly what can trigger the error message.

Anyway, that's the best I can come up with, without actually having
the package files.

-Don

At 2:52 PM -0400 3/28/08, [hidden email] wrote:

>Dear all,
>I have prepared a new package to install in R, I tried to check my package
>and I got the following message
>232sub141:~ zahra$ R CMD check /Users/zahra/Desktop/HighProbability
>* checking for working latex ... OK
>* using log directory '/Users/zahra/HighProbability.Rcheck'
>* using R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
>* checking for file 'HighProbability/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
>* this is package 'HighProbability' version '1.0-3'
>* checking package dependencies ... OK
>* checking if this is a source package ... OK
>* checking whether package 'HighProbability' can be installed ... OK
>* checking package directory ... OK
>* checking for portable file names ... OK
>* checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
>* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
>* checking top-level files ... OK
>* checking index information ... OK
>* checking package subdirectories ... OK
>* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
>* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
>* checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
>Error in library(HighProbability) :
>   'HighProbability' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
>Execution halted
>
>It looks like this package has a loading problem: see the messages for
>details.
>
>I don't know what the "Error in library(package name)" means and how can I
>solve it. I work with Mac.
>I'll appreciate it if you could help me.
>All the best,
>Zahra

Re: installing a new package

Uwe Ligges-3

Don MacQueen wrote:

> At the risk of oversimplifying, there are three steps to developing
> and using a package:
>
> 1) build
> 2) install
> 3) load
>
> Evidently your package does steps 1 and 2 but not 3.
>
> Furthermore, it tells you, "not a valid package", and says something
> that is suggestive of a version problem:
>    "installed < 2.0.0"
>
> I think you have to look very carefully at your package and look for
> what is invalid about it. There must be some requirement of package
> structure, or contents, or version of something, that your package
> doesn't meet or violates.
>
> Since your package can be installed, go into R, and try
>    require(HighProbability)
> but set the verbose argument to something that gives more information
> than the default. Maybe that will give some helpful information, more
> than the check provides.
>
> Either that, or delve deeply into the CMD check script(s) and find
> out exactly what can trigger the error message.
>
> Anyway, that's the best I can come up with, without actually having
> the package files.

And the having the latter, it would be much easier to help for all of us.

Uwe Ligges