lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

Antti Arppe
Dear colleagues in R,

Has anybody implemented the

1) (Goodman & Kruskal) lambda

or the

2) (Thiel's) uncertainty coefficient

statistics (in the asymmetric and symmetric forms), or is anyone aware
that they might reside in some package? A search in the R archives
does indicate that they are (somehow) part of the CoCo package, but I
would rather not start learning how to transform my data into
CoCo-format in order to access these functions, regardless of whether
the CoCo versions are actually intended for calculating the actual
statistic or for some other package internal purposes, as may
sometimes be the case.

Furthermore, it appears to me that the 'somers2' function in the Hmisc
package applies Somers' D only to 2x2 and not larger tables. Am I
mistaken, or does there exist somewhere else an implementation of the
Somers' D statistic for the more general RxC tables? This was queried
in 1999, but no response seemed then to be forthcoming.

Thanks and regards,

  -Antti Arppe

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

Frank Harrell
Antti Arppe wrote:

> Dear colleagues in R,
>
> Has anybody implemented the
>
> 1) (Goodman & Kruskal) lambda
>
> or the
>
> 2) (Thiel's) uncertainty coefficient
>
> statistics (in the asymmetric and symmetric forms), or is anyone aware
> that they might reside in some package? A search in the R archives
> does indicate that they are (somehow) part of the CoCo package, but I
> would rather not start learning how to transform my data into
> CoCo-format in order to access these functions, regardless of whether
> the CoCo versions are actually intended for calculating the actual
> statistic or for some other package internal purposes, as may
> sometimes be the case.
>
> Furthermore, it appears to me that the 'somers2' function in the Hmisc
> package applies Somers' D only to 2x2 and not larger tables. Am I
> mistaken, or does there exist somewhere else an implementation of the
> Somers' D statistic for the more general RxC tables? This was queried
> in 1999, but no response seemed then to be forthcoming.

Somers' D is for a 2-category response variable.  X may have any number
of categories as long as they are ordered.

Frank Harrell

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 16:40 +0300, Antti Arppe wrote:

> Dear colleagues in R,
>
> Has anybody implemented the
>
> 1) (Goodman & Kruskal) lambda
>
> or the
>
> 2) (Thiel's) uncertainty coefficient
>
> statistics (in the asymmetric and symmetric forms), or is anyone aware
> that they might reside in some package? A search in the R archives
> does indicate that they are (somehow) part of the CoCo package, but I
> would rather not start learning how to transform my data into
> CoCo-format in order to access these functions, regardless of whether
> the CoCo versions are actually intended for calculating the actual
> statistic or for some other package internal purposes, as may
> sometimes be the case.
>
> Furthermore, it appears to me that the 'somers2' function in the Hmisc
> package applies Somers' D only to 2x2 and not larger tables. Am I
> mistaken, or does there exist somewhere else an implementation of the
> Somers' D statistic for the more general RxC tables? This was queried
> in 1999, but no response seemed then to be forthcoming.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
>   -Antti Arppe

Antti,

Under a separate e-mail to you, I have sent a text file containing R
code for the above and other related association measures.

If anyone else is interested in these, please let me know and I will be
more than happy to forward them on. I did not want to consume a lot of
bandwidth here.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 10:30 -0500, Marc Schwartz (via MN) wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 16:40 +0300, Antti Arppe wrote:
> > Dear colleagues in R,
> >
> > Has anybody implemented the
> >
> > 1) (Goodman & Kruskal) lambda
> >
> > or the
> >
> > 2) (Thiel's) uncertainty coefficient
> >
> > statistics (in the asymmetric and symmetric forms), or is anyone aware
> > that they might reside in some package? A search in the R archives
> > does indicate that they are (somehow) part of the CoCo package, but I
> > would rather not start learning how to transform my data into
> > CoCo-format in order to access these functions, regardless of whether
> > the CoCo versions are actually intended for calculating the actual
> > statistic or for some other package internal purposes, as may
> > sometimes be the case.
> >
> > Furthermore, it appears to me that the 'somers2' function in the Hmisc
> > package applies Somers' D only to 2x2 and not larger tables. Am I
> > mistaken, or does there exist somewhere else an implementation of the
> > Somers' D statistic for the more general RxC tables? This was queried
> > in 1999, but no response seemed then to be forthcoming.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> >   -Antti Arppe
>

> Antti,
>
> Under a separate e-mail to you, I have sent a text file containing R
> code for the above and other related association measures.
>
> If anyone else is interested in these, please let me know and I will be
> more than happy to forward them on. I did not want to consume a lot of
> bandwidth here.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

[Replying to r-help only]

Antti,

Each of my e-mails directly to you, including the code file, using
either:

  [hidden email] (located on your web page)

or

  [hidden email] (used here)

have bounced, with access denied/user unknown errors.

Can you please confirm a correct e-mail address?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

Nora M
Dear Marc Schwartz,

I would also like to request the R code for doing this nominal measure of association analyses (if you dont mind..)

Your kindly helps are really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Nora M.

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

David Winsemius

On May 31, 2011, at 6:18 AM, Nora M wrote:

> Dear Marc Schwartz,
>
> I would also like to request the R code for doing this nominal
> measure of
> association analyses (if you dont mind..)

You should learn to search:

RSiteSearch is a function that you can use at the R command line

RSiteSearch("Somers D"")

Or you can install the sos package

require(sos)
findFn("Somers D")

Which does result in more hits, but not quite as focussed or
informative results.

> Your kindly helps are really appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Nora M.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

Marc Schwartz-3

On May 31, 2011, at 8:58 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On May 31, 2011, at 6:18 AM, Nora M wrote:
>
>> Dear Marc Schwartz,
>>
>> I would also like to request the R code for doing this nominal measure of
>> association analyses (if you dont mind..)
>
> You should learn to search:
>
> RSiteSearch is a function that you can use at the R command line
>
> RSiteSearch("Somers D"")
>
> Or you can install the sos package
>
> require(sos)
> findFn("Somers D")
>
> Which does result in more hits, but not quite as focussed or informative results.
>

>> Your kindly helps are really appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Nora M.
>
> David Winsemius, MD
> West Hartford, CT

Nora, if you are seeking to communicate with a specific person, it is best to directly e-mail that person rather than posting to a list of several thousand people. Notably, because there is a reasonable chance that the specific person of interest is not going to see the e-mail and therefore not respond to your query.

I will e-mail you the file of interest separately.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

Re: lambda, uncertainty coefficient (& Somers D)

hongwm
Dear Marc,

I would also like to request the R code for doing this nominal measure of association analyses, thanks in advance. Your kindly helps are really appreciated.

My email is hongwm@mun.ca

Have a great day,
Hong

On Oct 24, 2011, at 11:18 PM, hongwm wrote:

> Dear Marc,
>
> I would also like to request the R code for doing this nominal measure of
> association analyses, thanks in advance. Your kindly helps are really
> appreciated.
>
> My email is [hidden email]
>
> Have a great day,
> Hong

Hong, if you are seeking to communicate with a specific person, it is best to directly e-mail that person rather than posting to a list of several thousand people. Notably, because there is a reasonable chance that the specific person of interest is not going to see the e-mail and therefore not respond to your query.

I have e-mailed you the file of interest separately.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz