lavaan diagram

Sebastián Daza
Hi everyone,
I got the following error when I tried to diagram a confirmatory factor
analysis using lavaan:

lavaan.diagram(conf)
Error in strwidth(xvars) : plot.new has not been called yet

Does anyone have any idea about what is happening?
Thank you in advance.

--
Sebastián Daza

Re: lavaan diagram

Peter Ehlers
On 2011-03-08 18:09, Sebastián Daza wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I got the following error when I tried to diagram a confirmatory factor
> analysis using lavaan:
>
> lavaan.diagram(conf)
> Error in strwidth(xvars) : plot.new has not been called yet
>
> Does anyone have any idea about what is happening?
> Thank you in advance.

Two problems with this request:
1. It would be customary to mention that lavaan.diagram
    is in the psych package.
2. Is 'conf' of the appropriate class? Have you checked
    with str(conf)?

Peter Ehlers

Re: lavaan diagram

William Revelle
Sebastian,

At 7:03 PM -0800 3/8/11, Peter Ehlers wrote:

>On 2011-03-08 18:09, Sebastián Daza wrote:
>>Hi everyone,
>>I got the following error when I tried to diagram a confirmatory factor
>>analysis using lavaan:
>>
>>lavaan.diagram(conf)
>>Error in strwidth(xvars) : plot.new has not been called yet
>>
>>Does anyone have any idea about what is happening?
>>Thank you in advance.
>>
>Two problems with this request:
>1. It would be customary to mention that lavaan.diagram
>    is in the psych package.
>2. Is 'conf' of the appropriate class? Have you checked
>    with str(conf)?

As I said in a previous response to a
lavaan.diagram question of yours, the currently
released version of psych was released before
lavaan 0.4-7 was released.  In an improvement to
the efficiency of the lavaan,  Yves Rosseel
changed some of the structure of the output .
(See his very helpful introduction to lavaan at
http://lavaan.ugent.be/.)

lavaan.diagram is just a very short function in
psych that calls structure.diagram (also in
psych).  Read the documentation for
structure.diagram to see what it is looking for
(basically two measurement models and a structure
model) and then look at the lavann structure to
see how to pass the appropriate parameters.

Until I release the next version of psych the
best solution is to look at the current version
of lavaan.diagram (10 lines of code) and modify
them to handle the structure of lavaan output.

lavaan is a very nice product and lavaan.diagram
is a minor attempt to make it even better.

It would help me improve lavaan.diagram if you
could send me a simple example of the data set
you were examining and what was the model that
did not diagram correctly.

I hope that helps.

Bill