library(hms)

R help mailing list-2
On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
Greg Coats

> library(hms)
Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
> Install.libraries(“hms”)
Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

Bill Dunlap-2
install.packages("hms")

A 'library' is a directory (aka folder) that contains installed
'packages'.  I.e., one installs packages into a library, but one does
not install a library.

-Bill

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:08 AM Gregory Coats via R-help
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
> Greg Coats
>
> > library(hms)
> Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
> > Install.libraries(“hms”)
> Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

mark leeds
Hi: install.packages("hms") should work if you have R installed along with
an internet connection.

When you do above, if you get a message about other packages needing to be
installed, then use

install.packages("hms", dependencies = TRUE).

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 1:08 PM Gregory Coats via R-help <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
> Greg Coats
>
> > library(hms)
> Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
> > Install.libraries(“hms”)
> Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

Caitlin Gibbons
Maybe you used the wrong quotes with the parentheses?

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Gregory Coats via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
> Greg Coats
>
>> library(hms)
> Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
>> Install.libraries(“hms”)
> Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

Caitlin Gibbons
Your opening quote looks slightly different from the closing quote. This probably explains why you received the error message regarding “unexpected input”.

I hope this helps.

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Gregory Coats via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
> Greg Coats
>
>> library(hms)
> Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
>> Install.libraries(“hms”)
> Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

R help mailing list-2
It appears that
install.libraries(“hms”)
is unsuccessful, but that
install.packages(“hms”)
is successful.

install.packages("lubridate")
downloaded 1.5 MB
install.packages("hms")
downloaded 95 KB
install.packages("data.table")
downloaded 2.2 MB
Greg

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Gregory Coats via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On my MacBook, I do not have, and do not know how to install, library(hms).
> Greg Coats
>
>> library(hms)
> Error in library(hms) : there is no package called ‘hms’
>> Install.libraries(“hms”)
> Error: unexpected input in "Install.libraries(“"

Re: library(hms)

John Fox
Dear Greg,

As I explained to you in a private email, and as others have told you,
there is no Install.libraries() command, nor is there an
install.libraries(0 command, but there is an install.packages() command.

So install.packages("hms") should work, on a Mac or on any other
internet-connected computer on which R runs -- as you've also been told
by others, this is not a Mac-specific issue. Note that the argument to
install.packages must be quoted. See ?install.packages for details.

I'll also repeat the advice that I gave you privately to learn something
about R before you try to use it, possibly starting with the "An
Introduction to R" manual that ships with the standard R distribution.

Best,
  John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University