local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Stefano Sofia
Dear list users,
I need to find local maxima and local minima positions in a vector where there might be duplicates; in the particular in case of
- duplicated local maxima, I should take the position of the first duplicated value;
- duplicated local minima, I should take the position of the last duplicated value.

Example:

>x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
>which(diff(diff(x)>=0)<0)+1

gives me 8 11 15 while I need 8 10 13;

>which(diff(diff(x)>0)>0)+1

gives me 4 6  9 12 16 while I need 4 9 12 16.

Could you please help me in this task? I would be happier not to use additional packages.

Thank you for your precious help
Stefano

         (oo)
--oOO--( )--OOo--------------------------------------
Stefano Sofia PhD
Civil Protection - Marche Region - Italy
Meteo Section
Snow Section
Via del Colle Ameno 5
60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona (AN)
Uff: +39 071 806 7743
E-mail: [hidden email]
---Oo---------oO----------------------------------------

________________________________

AVVISO IMPORTANTE: Questo messaggio di posta elettronica può contenere informazioni confidenziali, pertanto è destinato solo a persone autorizzate alla ricezione. I messaggi di posta elettronica per i client di Regione Marche possono contenere informazioni confidenziali e con privilegi legali. Se non si è il destinatario specificato, non leggere, copiare, inoltrare o archiviare questo messaggio. Se si è ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, inoltrarlo al mittente ed eliminarlo completamente dal sistema del proprio computer. Ai sensi dell’art. 6 della DGR n. 1394/2008 si segnala che, in caso di necessità ed urgenza, la risposta al presente messaggio di posta elettronica può essere visionata da persone estranee al destinatario.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

--
Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.
This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Bill Dunlap-2
Using rle() may make it easier - finding the peak values is easier and
select from cumsum(lengths) to get the positions of the last values
before the peaks, then add 1.  I have not tested the following very
much.

function(x) {
  rx <- rle(x)
  cumsum(rx$lengths)[c(diff(diff(rx$values)>0) == -1,FALSE,FALSE)]+1
}

-Bill

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Stefano Sofia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list users,
> I need to find local maxima and local minima positions in a vector where there might be duplicates; in the particular in case of
> - duplicated local maxima, I should take the position of the first duplicated value;
> - duplicated local minima, I should take the position of the last duplicated value.
>
> Example:
>
> >x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
> >which(diff(diff(x)>=0)<0)+1
>
> gives me 8 11 15 while I need 8 10 13;
>
> >which(diff(diff(x)>0)>0)+1
>
> gives me 4 6  9 12 16 while I need 4 9 12 16.
>
> Could you please help me in this task? I would be happier not to use additional packages.
>
> Thank you for your precious help
> Stefano
>

>          (oo)
> --oOO--( )--OOo--------------------------------------
> Stefano Sofia PhD
> Civil Protection - Marche Region - Italy
> Meteo Section
> Snow Section
> Via del Colle Ameno 5
> 60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona (AN)
> Uff: +39 071 806 7743
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> ---Oo---------oO----------------------------------------
>
> ________________________________
>
> AVVISO IMPORTANTE: Questo messaggio di posta elettronica può contenere informazioni confidenziali, pertanto è destinato solo a persone autorizzate alla ricezione. I messaggi di posta elettronica per i client di Regione Marche possono contenere informazioni confidenziali e con privilegi legali. Se non si è il destinatario specificato, non leggere, copiare, inoltrare o archiviare questo messaggio. Se si è ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, inoltrarlo al mittente ed eliminarlo completamente dal sistema del proprio computer. Ai sensi dell’art. 6 della DGR n. 1394/2008 si segnala che, in caso di necessità ed urgenza, la risposta al presente messaggio di posta elettronica può essere visionata da persone estranee al destinatario.
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.
>
> --
> Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.
> This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Bert Gunter-2
WARNING: I have not carefully tested the following, so you will need to do
so before using.

Like Bill, I found rle a clearer approach. Here's my (not so elegant,
probably) version:

> x <-c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
> z <- rle(x)
> vals <- z$values
> n <- length(vals)
> whmin<-c(vals[-1], -Inf) > vals & c(-Inf, vals[-n]) > vals
> whmax <- c(vals[-1], Inf) < vals & c(Inf, vals[-n]) < vals
> cumsum(z$lengths)[whmin]
[1]  4  9 12 16
> cumsum(z$lengths)[whmax[-1]] +1
[1]  8 10 13

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list users,
> I need to find local maxima and local minima positions in a vector where
> there might be duplicates; in the particular in case of
> - duplicated local maxima, I should take the position of the first
> duplicated value;
> - duplicated local minima, I should take the position of the last
> duplicated value.
>
> Example:
>
> >x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
> >which(diff(diff(x)>=0)<0)+1
>
> gives me 8 11 15 while I need 8 10 13;
>
> >which(diff(diff(x)>0)>0)+1
>
> gives me 4 6  9 12 16 while I need 4 9 12 16.
>
> Could you please help me in this task? I would be happier not to use
> additional packages.
>
> Thank you for your precious help
> Stefano
>

>          (oo)
> --oOO--( )--OOo--------------------------------------
> Stefano Sofia PhD
> Civil Protection - Marche Region - Italy
> Meteo Section
> Snow Section
> Via del Colle Ameno 5
> 60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona (AN)
> Uff: +39 071 806 7743
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> ---Oo---------oO----------------------------------------
>
> ________________________________
>
> AVVISO IMPORTANTE: Questo messaggio di posta elettronica può contenere
> informazioni confidenziali, pertanto è destinato solo a persone autorizzate
> alla ricezione. I messaggi di posta elettronica per i client di Regione
> Marche possono contenere informazioni confidenziali e con privilegi legali.
> Se non si è il destinatario specificato, non leggere, copiare, inoltrare o
> archiviare questo messaggio. Se si è ricevuto questo messaggio per errore,
> inoltrarlo al mittente ed eliminarlo completamente dal sistema del proprio
> computer. Ai sensi dell’art. 6 della DGR n. 1394/2008 si segnala che, in
> caso di necessità ed urgenza, la risposta al presente messaggio di posta
> elettronica può essere visionata da persone estranee al destinatario.
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by
> persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.
> E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that
> is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward,
> or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you
> have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and
> delete it completely from your computer system.
>
> --
> Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non
> infetto.
> This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Greg Minshall

Stefano,

my contribution is similar to Bill Dunlap's:

  x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
  (cumsum(rle(x)$lengths)-(rle(x)$length-1))[which(diff(diff(rle(x)$values)>=0)<0)+1]
  cumsum(rle(x)$lengths)[which(diff(diff(rle(x)$value)>0)>0)+1]

kind of a cute little problem, actually.

cheers, Greg

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

aBBy Spurdle, ⍺XY
Hi Stefano,

My package, vectools, is partly designed for this purpose.
(Unfortunately, the package *is* subject to *change*, and some of the
functions may change in the next update).

library (vectools)
which.maxs (x, ret.type="intervals")[,1] # c (8, 10, 13)
which.mins (x, ret.type="intervals")[,2] # c (4, 9, 12, 16)

best,
B.

P.S.
I'll make sure the next version has an option for the lower/upper index.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:36 AM Stefano Sofia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list users,
> I need to find local maxima and local minima positions in a vector where there might be duplicates; in the particular in case of
> - duplicated local maxima, I should take the position of the first duplicated value;
> - duplicated local minima, I should take the position of the last duplicated value.
>
> Example:
>
> >x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
> >which(diff(diff(x)>=0)<0)+1
>
> gives me 8 11 15 while I need 8 10 13;
>
> >which(diff(diff(x)>0)>0)+1
>
> gives me 4 6  9 12 16 while I need 4 9 12 16.
>
> Could you please help me in this task? I would be happier not to use additional packages.
>
> Thank you for your precious help
> Stefano
>

>          (oo)
> --oOO--( )--OOo--------------------------------------
> Stefano Sofia PhD
> Civil Protection - Marche Region - Italy
> Meteo Section
> Snow Section
> Via del Colle Ameno 5
> 60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona (AN)
> Uff: +39 071 806 7743
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> ---Oo---------oO----------------------------------------
>
> ________________________________
>
> AVVISO IMPORTANTE: Questo messaggio di posta elettronica può contenere informazioni confidenziali, pertanto è destinato solo a persone autorizzate alla ricezione. I messaggi di posta elettronica per i client di Regione Marche possono contenere informazioni confidenziali e con privilegi legali. Se non si è il destinatario specificato, non leggere, copiare, inoltrare o archiviare questo messaggio. Se si è ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, inoltrarlo al mittente ed eliminarlo completamente dal sistema del proprio computer. Ai sensi dell’art. 6 della DGR n. 1394/2008 si segnala che, in caso di necessità ed urgenza, la risposta al presente messaggio di posta elettronica può essere visionata da persone estranee al destinatario.
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.
>
> --
> Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.
> This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Stefano Sofia
Dear Bill, Bert, Greg and Abby,
I tested your code (honestly apart from Abby's solution because it needed an additional package and I run R in a server which is not administrated by myself), they work and I found them equivalent. (Probably Bill's and Greg's solutions are a bit faster than Bert's.)

In my real application I found a case where none of them work: when the series is monotonic. In this case the last number of the vector (or the last duplicated numbers) is not a maximum but it is anyway the highest number of the vector:

>x <- c(1,1,1,2,2,3,4,4,4,5,6,6,6)

The error is: argument is of length zero.
Your code is at the moment too complicated for me to modify. I ask if there is an "easy" extension of the code that you kindly wrote for me to handle also this possibility.

Thank you for everything

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list users,
> I need to find local maxima and local minima positions in a vector where there might be duplicates; in the particular in case of
> - duplicated local maxima, I should take the position of the first duplicated value;
> - duplicated local minima, I should take the position of the last duplicated value.
>
> Example:
>
> >x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
> >which(diff(diff(x)>=0)<0)+1
>
> gives me 8 11 15 while I need 8 10 13;
>
> >which(diff(diff(x)>0)>0)+1
>
> gives me 4 6  9 12 16 while I need 4 9 12 16.
>
> Could you please help me in this task? I would be happier not to use additional packages.
>
> Thank you for your precious help
> Stefano
>

>          (oo)
> --oOO--( )--OOo--------------------------------------
> Stefano Sofia PhD
> Civil Protection - Marche Region - Italy
> Meteo Section
> Snow Section
> Via del Colle Ameno 5
> 60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona (AN)
> Uff: +39 071 806 7743
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> ---Oo---------oO----------------------------------------
>
> ________________________________
>
> AVVISO IMPORTANTE: Questo messaggio di posta elettronica può contenere informazioni confidenziali, pertanto è destinato solo a persone autorizzate alla ricezione. I messaggi di posta elettronica per i client di Regione Marche possono contenere informazioni confidenziali e con privilegi legali. Se non si è il destinatario specificato, non leggere, copiare, inoltrare o archiviare questo messaggio. Se si è ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, inoltrarlo al mittente ed eliminarlo completamente dal sistema del proprio computer. Ai sensi dell’art. 6 della DGR n. 1394/2008 si segnala che, in caso di necessità ed urgenza, la risposta al presente messaggio di posta elettronica può essere visionata da persone estranee al destinatario.
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.
>
> --
> Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.
> This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Questo messaggio  stato analizzato con Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.

________________________________

[...]

i notice that my and Bill's (pretty much isomorphic) solutions give a
zero-length vector.  i don't remember Bert's, but it's probably gives
similar results.  your code could check for that result, and react
accordingly.

cheers, Greg

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Bill Dunlap-2
If you want to accept maxima at the ends of the series, append -Inf to
each end and subtract one from the result.  Note that this will make
even a constant sequence have a local maximum at 1.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Regione Marche may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

--
Questo messaggio  stato analizzato da Libraesva ESG ed  risultato non infetto.
This message was scanned by Libraesva ESG and is believed to be clean.

Re: local maxima positions in a vector with duplicated values

Your original query included
    > x <- c(1,0,0,0,2,2,3,4,0,1,1,0,5,5,5,0,1)
    ... I need 8 10 13.
Did you also want the 1's at the ends to count as local maxima,
so the result would be c(1,8,10,13,17)?
Or do you want the maxima at endpoints only if there are no others?

-BIll