make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Elizabeth Lawson
Hi,

I just bought new macbook pro 10.6.3.  I am trying to use some old c code that used to work.  I tried to recompile the code.  In the directory with code I used R CMD SHLIB hello.c and get the error
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

I have tried reinstalling Xcode and R but I am still having this problem.

Any suggestions?

Re: make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Romain Francois

Le 11/05/10 04:16, Elizabeth Lawson a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just bought new macbook pro 10.6.3.  I am trying to use some old c code
> that used to work.  I tried to recompile the code.  In the directory with
> code I used R CMD SHLIB hello.c and get the error
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>
> I have tried reinstalling Xcode and R but I am still having this problem.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can try

$ rm hello.o hello.so

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast

Re: make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Elizabeth Lawson
When I try
$ rm hello.o hello.so

I get the error
-bash: $: command not found

What does that mean?

Le 11/05/10 13:40, Elizabeth Lawson a écrit :
> When I try
> $ rm hello.o hello.so
>
> I get the error
> -bash: $: command not found
>
> What does that mean?

Did you actually type the '$' ? You should not have.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast
+33(0) 6 28 91 30 30
http://romainfrancois.blog.free.fr
|- http://bit.ly/9aKDM9 : embed images in Rd documents
|- http://tr.im/OIXN : raster images and RImageJ
|- http://tr.im/OcQe : Rcpp 0.7.7

Re: make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Elizabeth Lawson
Why would I want to remove (rm) the file.  I am trying to compile it.

For the file hello2.c
/* hello.c: display a message on the screen */

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
        printf("hello, world\n");
}

I used gcc hello2.c and it works fine.

But fort eh file hello.c
#include <R.h>
void hello(int *n)
{
int i;
for(i=0; i < *n; i++) {
Rprintf("Hello, world!\n");

I try R CMD SHLIB hello.c and I ge tthe error
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Why does one compile and the other not?

Le 12/05/10 00:23, Elizabeth Lawson a écrit :
> Why would I want to remove (rm) the file.  I am trying to compile it.

make thinks : "Why would I compile this file, the result is already there"

First time :

romain@naxos /tmp $ R CMD SHLIB hello.c
gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99
-I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
-I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/x86_64
-I/usr/local/include    -fPIC  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -Wno-variadic-macros
-c hello.c -o hello.o
gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99 -dynamiclib
-Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup
-single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o hello.so
hello.o -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework
-Wl,CoreFoundation

Second time:

romain@naxos /tmp $ R CMD SHLIB hello.c
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Does that help ?

Romain

BTW, your second post is more useful than the first one as you actually
partly follow the posting guide and show some example code.