memory increasing

graziella
Dear All,
I am an Italian researcher in Economics. I work with large sample data. I need to increase the memory in R-project in order to upload a file ".dta". How can I do this?

Thank you.
graziella

Re: memory increasing

Jonathan P Daily
1) What kind of file is a .dta?

2) Do you have more RAM than R is using? Check this with ?memory.limit

3) Are you on a 64 bit OS with 64 bit R?

I can tell you that starting R with --max-mem-size=
may help, but you probably want to look into R interfaces with databases
first.
--------------------------------------
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly

[hidden email] wrote on 03/22/2011 10:17:13 AM:

> [image removed]
>
> [R] memory increasing
>
> graziella
>
> to:
>
> r-help
>
> 03/22/2011 10:33 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Dear All,
> I am an Italian researcher in Economics. I work with large sample data.
> need to increase the memory in R-project in order to upload a file
".dta".

> How can I do this?
>
> Thank you.
> graziella

Re: memory increasing

graziella
Thank you Jonathan.
A file .dta is a dataset uploaded on Stata 10, that is another Statistical Program of data processing.
I think that you help me.
Thank you very much.
graziella

Re: memory increasing

David Winsemius

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=read+stata&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=functions

> Thank you.
> graziella

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: memory increasing

David Winsemius

On Mar 22, 2011, at 12:06 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:17 AM, graziella wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I am an Italian researcher in Economics. I work with large sample
>> data. I
>> need to increase the memory in R-project in order to upload a file
>> ".dta".
>> How can I do this?
>>

> http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=read+stata&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=functions

Sometimes I fail to read questions carefully. You want to "increase
memory" but have not indicated your system information. If this is on
Windows there is an RW-FAQ question on that point.

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#There-seems-to-be-a-limit-on-the-memory-it-uses_0021

If that does not address your question fully, then read the Posting
Guide.

>> Thank you.
>> graziella

David Winsemius, MD