memory.limit

delmeric
I ran the memory limit function in R 2.9.0 and received the 'error'
below. The memory appears to update correctly, so there's probably no
implication beyond cosmetic; however, thought I would make sure since the
function as written did not generate the same error in my 2.8.0 version of
R.

Thanks

> memory.limit(size=4095)
Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
  Non-numeric argument to mathematical function
> memory.limit()
[1] 4095

 <[hidden email]>

Re: memory.limit

Francisco J. Zagmutt
Hello Stephen,

I can confirm that I get the same behavior in my Windows machine.  Here
is a summary:

 > memory.limit()
[1] 2046
 > memory.limit(2092)
Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
   Non-numeric argument to mathematical function
 > memory.limit()
[1] 2092

As you described, the function reports an error but it indeed modified
the memory allocation limit.  This must be somehow related to the
modification to memory.limit() described in the release notes for
Windows R version 2.9.0
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/CHANGES.R-2.9.0)

 > version
                _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          9.0
year           2009
month          04
day            17
svn rev        48333
language       R
version.string R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)

All: is this a bug or are we missing something?

Regards,

Francisco

__
Francisco J. Zagmutt
Vose Consulting
2891 20th Street
Boulder, CO, 80304
USA
[hidden email]
www.voseconsulting.com

Derek Stephen Elmerick wrote:

> I ran the memory limit function in R 2.9.0 and received the 'error'
> below. The memory appears to update correctly, so there's probably no
> implication beyond cosmetic; however, thought I would make sure since the
> function as written did not generate the same error in my 2.8.0 version of
> R.
>
> Thanks
>

>> memory.limit(size=4095)
> Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
>   Non-numeric argument to mathematical function
>> memory.limit()
> [1] 4095
>
>  <[hidden email]>

Re: memory.limit

delmeric
Hello --

So, independently of any other code, the memory limit error I referenced is
not a problem. The issue I am running into now is that our analytics
group must go back to all existing code and comment out the memory limit
reference [See my example below]. I'm sure there is a quick fix. If anyone
has ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

> for (k in 1:3)
+ {
+    cat("hello world","\n")
+ }
hello world
hello world
hello world

> for (k in 1:10)
+ {
+    memory.limit(size=4095)
+    cat("hello world","\n")
+ }
Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
  Non-numeric argument to mathematical function

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Francisco J. Zagmutt <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Stephen,
>
> I can confirm that I get the same behavior in my Windows machine.  Here is
> a summary:
>
> > memory.limit()
> [1] 2046
> > memory.limit(2092)
> Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
>  Non-numeric argument to mathematical function
> > memory.limit()
> [1] 2092
>
> As you described, the function reports an error but it indeed modified the
> memory allocation limit.  This must be somehow related to the modification
> to memory.limit() described in the release notes for Windows R version 2.9.0
> (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/CHANGES.R-2.9.0)
>
> > version
>               _
> platform       i386-pc-mingw32
> arch           i386
> os             mingw32
> system         i386, mingw32
> status
> major          2
> minor          9.0
> year           2009
> month          04
> day            17
> svn rev        48333
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
>
> All: is this a bug or are we missing something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Francisco
>
> __
> Francisco J. Zagmutt
> Vose Consulting
> 2891 20th Street
> Boulder, CO, 80304
> USA
> [hidden email]
> www.voseconsulting.com
>
> Derek Stephen Elmerick wrote:
>
>>  I ran the memory limit function in R 2.9.0 and received the 'error'
>> below. The memory appears to update correctly, so there's probably no
>> implication beyond cosmetic; however, thought I would make sure since the
>> function as written did not generate the same error in my 2.8.0 version of
>> R.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> memory.limit(size=4095)
>>>
>> Error in trunc(.Internal(memory.size(size))) :
>>  Non-numeric argument to mathematical function
>>
>>> memory.limit()
>>>
>> [1] 4095
>>
>>  <[hidden email]>

Re: memory.limit

Uwe Ligges-3

Derek Stephen Elmerick wrote:
> Hello --
>
> So, independently of any other code, the memory limit error I referenced is
> not a problem. The issue I am running into now is that our analytics
> group must go back to all existing code and comment out the memory limit
> reference [See my example below]. I'm sure there is a quick fix. If anyone
> has ideas, I would appreciate it.

Use R-2.9.0 *patched*, the bug has already been fixed in the patched
version.

Uwe Ligges