mgcv: BAM convergence conflicting messages

mgcv: BAM convergence conflicting messages

Trevor Davies
I'm running some spatial GAMs and am using the bam call (negbin family) and
am getting conflicting information on whether the model is converging or
not.  When the model completes its run, I get a warning message that the
model did not converge.  When I look at the object itself, I'm told that it
did.  See below.

Warning message:
In bgam.fit(G, mf, chunk.size, gp, scale, gamma, method = method,  :
  algorithm did not converge

> mod07.3.BASE.bam5.1$converged
[1] TRUE

Am I missing something?
Thank you,
Trevor

Re: mgcv: BAM convergence conflicting messages

Simon Wood-4
I think it didn't converge. The warning message is for the whole fitting
iteration, whereas mod07.3.BASE.bam5.1$converged indicates whether
smoothing parameter selection converged at the final step of the iteration.

best,
Simon

On 17/06/14 19:10, Trevor Davies wrote:

> I'm running some spatial GAMs and am using the bam call (negbin family) and
> am getting conflicting information on whether the model is converging or
> not.  When the model completes its run, I get a warning message that the
> model did not converge.  When I look at the object itself, I'm told that it
> did.  See below.
>
> Warning message:
> In bgam.fit(G, mf, chunk.size, gp, scale, gamma, method = method,  :
>    algorithm did not converge
>
>> mod07.3.BASE.bam5.1$converged
> [1] TRUE
>
> Am I missing something?
> Thank you,
> Trevor

Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283

Re: mgcv: BAM convergence conflicting messages

Trevor Davies
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Would the opposite be true as well then? I
have other models where I don't get a warning message at the end of the
model fitting but the $converged slow indicates a 'FALSE'.

Thank you ~Trevor