minor version upgrade requires library refresh?

minor version upgrade requires library refresh?

Ross Boylan
If R changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, or more generally from m.n.p to m.n.q,
is it necessary to refresh libraries to match the version, e.g., with
update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)?  The R Windows FAQ 2.8 says
"For those with a personal library (folder R\win-library\x.y of your
home directory, R\win64-library\x.y on 64-bit builds), you will need to
update that too when the minor version of R changes (e.g. from 3.0.2 to
3.1.0)."

This suggests that in m.n.q n is the minor version (which would make q
the release?), and that the minor version does not change between 3.0.1
and 3.0.1.  But I'm not sure.

I'm interested in Unix as well as Windows.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

Re: minor version upgrade requires library refresh?

David Winsemius

On Feb 13, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> If R changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, or more generally from m.n.p to m.n.q,
> is it necessary to refresh libraries to match the version, e.g., with
> update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)?  The R Windows FAQ 2.8 says
> "For those with a personal library (folder R\win-library\x.y of your
> home directory, R\win64-library\x.y on 64-bit builds), you will need to
> update that too when the minor version of R changes (e.g. from 3.0.2 to
> 3.1.0)."

When "n" changes you need to update any existing library.

> This suggests that in m.n.q n is the minor version (which would make q
> the release?), and that the minor version does not change between 3.0.1
> and 3.0.1.

Huh?

>  But I'm not sure.
>
> I'm interested in Unix as well as Windows.
>
> Thanks.
> Ross Boylan
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please learn to post in plain text.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 17:47 -0800, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > If R changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, or more generally from m.n.p to m.n.q,
> > is it necessary to refresh libraries to match the version, e.g., with
> > update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)?  The R Windows FAQ 2.8 says
> > "For those with a personal library (folder R\win-library\x.y of your
> > home directory, R\win64-library\x.y on 64-bit builds), you will need to
> > update that too when the minor version of R changes (e.g. from 3.0.2 to
> > 3.1.0)."
> >

> When "n" changes you need to update any existing library.
>
> > This suggests that in m.n.q n is the minor version (which would make q
> > the release?), and that the minor version does not change between 3.0.1
> > and 3.0.1.
>
> Huh?
The FAQ refers to the "minor version" but does not define it, except by
example.  I'm trying to figure out if a change in p in m.n.p counts as a
change in the minor version number, and hence requires a library update.
I considered p a minor version number (e.g., in the subject line of the
message) and so found the FAQ ambiguous.

Both your rule ("when n changes...") and the docs suggest p does not
count as a minor version number, though neither is explicit.  Logically,
the fact that a change in n requires library updates provides no
information about a change in p, though the usual reading is "p doesn't
matter" or "when m.n stays the same no update is necessary."

Ross