normal-bracket50bracket-normal?

Spencer Graves
Hello:

      I've found structures like "normal-bracket50bracket-normal" in
help files for R packages including the following:

           * "mergeprepare" and "mergematrices" in a document dated
March 3, 2004 by Richard Mott;  the second contains
"normal-bracket30bracket-normal".

           * "Fperm.fd" and "tperm.fd" in the "fda" package;  these help
pages were written primarily by Giles Hooker.

           * "compareDerivatives" in the "maxLik" package;  this help
page was written by Ott Toomet and me.

      What can we do to eliminate this nonsense comment?

      Constructs like this seem to be generated in perl code used in "R
CMD" processing
(https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/perl/R/Rdconv.pm).

      Thanks,
      Spencer Graves

Re: normal-bracket50bracket-normal?

Prof Brian Ripley
These usually indicate incorrect files. Have you looked at the
experimental Rd parser in R-devel to see if it pinpoints an error?

For example, in both Fperm.Rd and compareDerivatives.Rd there is an
\itemize{} construct inside \value, which is incorrect as \value is itself
an implicit \itemize.  Please do check the description in 'Writing R
Extensions' (and \value is definitely quirky).

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hello:
>

>     I've found structures like "normal-bracket50bracket-normal" in
> help files for R packages including the following:
>
>          * "mergeprepare" and "mergematrices" in a document dated
> March 3, 2004 by Richard Mott;  the second contains
> "normal-bracket30bracket-normal".

Which is insufficient for the rest of us to get access to it.

>          * "Fperm.fd" and "tperm.fd" in the "fda" package;  these help pages
> were written primarily by Giles Hooker.
>
>          * "compareDerivatives" in the "maxLik" package;  this help page was
> written by Ott Toomet and me.
>

>     What can we do to eliminate this nonsense comment?
>
>     Constructs like this seem to be generated in perl code used in "R
> CMD" processing
> (https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/perl/R/Rdconv.pm).
>
>     Thanks,
>     Spencer Graves

Re: normal-bracket50bracket-normal?

Spencer Graves
Dear Prof. Ripley:

      Thanks very much.  It looks like removing the "\itemize" from
within "\value" should fix the problem, though I haven't fully tested it
yet.  I previously removed that from "Fperm.fd" and the problem is fixed
there.  I haven't yet tested it with "tperm.fd" and "compareDerivatives".

      Thanks again.
      Spencer