open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Gonçalo Ferraz
Hello,

I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something directly on the R-GUI.

But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes. I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.

I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.

I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2 GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)

Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the latest attempt to start from scratch.

Is this problem familiar to anyone?

Thanks for any help,

Gonçalo

Re: open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Bert Gunter-2
You might do better on r-sig-mac  for this.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:24 AM Gonçalo Ferraz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something
> directly on the R-GUI.
>
> But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes.
> I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.
>
> I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a
> more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.
>
> I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2
> GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)
>
> Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to
> open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the
> latest attempt to start from scratch.
>
> Is this problem familiar to anyone?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Gonçalo

Re: open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Berend Hasselman

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 20:24, Gonçalo Ferraz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something directly on the R-GUI.
>
> But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes. I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.
>
> I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.
>
> I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2 GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)
>
> Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the latest attempt to start from scratch.
>
> Is this problem familiar to anyone?

See this thread on the R-SIG-Mac list: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-June/013575.html
and her for a solution (sequel of above): https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-July/013641.html

Go to https://mac.r-project.org/ and get the latest revision of the R GUI which is noe https://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/R-GUI-7884-4.0-high-sierra-Release.dmg

I have revision 7849; if the above does not work I can mail you the dmg of revision 7849.

Berend

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Gonçalo

Re: open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Peter Dalgaard-2
...or try R-patched, which I'm told has the newer GUI.

-pd

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 21:43 , Berend Hasselman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 21 Sep 2020, at 20:24, Gonçalo Ferraz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something directly on the R-GUI.
>>
>> But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes. I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.
>>
>> I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.
>>
>> I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2 GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)
>>
>> Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the latest attempt to start from scratch.
>>
>> Is this problem familiar to anyone?
>>

> See this thread on the R-SIG-Mac list: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-June/013575.html
> and her for a solution (sequel of above): https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-July/013641.html
>
> Go to https://mac.r-project.org/ and get the latest revision of the R GUI which is noe https://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/R-GUI-7884-4.0-high-sierra-Release.dmg
>
> I have revision 7849; if the above does not work I can mail you the dmg of revision 7849.
>
> Berend
>

>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Gonçalo

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,