open help files in browser

Martin Batholdy
Hi,

Is there a way to open help files in the default web browser instead of a new R-window
when I use the help-functions (like ?, help.search() etc.)?

thanks!

Re: open help files in browser

Henrik Bengtsson
If you're not already using R v2.10.0 or newer, try that first.

My $.02

/Henrik

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Martin Batholdy

On 30/03/2010 1:46 PM, Martin Batholdy wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there a way to open help files in the default web browser instead of a new R-window
> when I use the help-functions (like ?, help.search() etc.)?
You don't say what platform you're using.  Generally the way to do this
is to run options(help_type="html") but that doesn't necessarily work on
all platforms:  the Mac GUI will intercept the call and do HTML display
in the internal browser; other platforms may not be able to run the HTML
server.

Re: open help files in browser

Martin Batholdy
Hi,

I am working on Mac OS X 10.6.
R-version: 2.9.0.

> the Mac GUI will intercept the call and do HTML display in the internal browser

With internal browser you mean a built-in browser of R?
Is there also a way to invoke Safari to display the help-file (with the common help-functions)?

With internal you mean

On 30/03/2010 2:19 PM, Martin Batholdy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on Mac OS X 10.6.
> R-version: 2.9.0.
>
> > the Mac GUI will intercept the call and do HTML display in the internal browser
>

> With internal browser you mean a built-in browser of R?
> Is there also a way to invoke Safari to display the help-file (with the common help-functions)?

I don't think so, but you might get a more authoritative answer on the
R-sig-mac mailing list.

Duncan Murdoch