open source editor for r for beginners

Marion Wenty
Hello all,

I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the normal R
editor that is included in the program.

I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
programming.

Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?

Thanks for your help.

Marion

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Michael Weylandt
RStudio

Hope this helps,
Michael Weylandt

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Marion Wenty <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the normal
> editor that is included in the program.
>
> I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
> programming.
>
> Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Marion

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Marion Wenty wrote:

> I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the normal
> R editor that is included in the program.

> I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
> programming.

Marion,

   VIM (Vi) is a line-oriented editor. The other standard is Emacs (page
oriented) which has been described as the only editor that includes an
operating system. :-) I know folks that open emacs in their console when
they log into their system in the morning and do all their work within it,
including processing mail and news groups, searching the Web, coding, and
writing letters and documents.

   All editors have a learning curve; the more powerful and capable the
editor the longer the learning curve. Pick one and work with it until you
learn enough to do what you want.

   I use emacs (and have for years for all sorts of text editing and data
manipulation tasks) and have recently added ess (Emacs Speaks Statistics)
since I'm starting to learn to use R. I find it highly productive; YMMV.

Rich

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Marion:

You should always first search CRAN for such queries. Had you done so, you
would have been led to:

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/

There is an extensive list of editors/IDE's there.

-- Bert

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Marion Wenty <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the normal
> editor that is included in the program.
>
> I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
> programming.
>
> Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Marion

"Men by nature long to get on to the ultimate truths, and will often be
impatient with elementary studies or fight shy of them. If it were possible
to reach the ultimate truths without the elementary studies usually prefixed
to them, these would not be preparatory studies but superfluous diversions."

-- Maimonides (1135-1204)

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
467-7374

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Jack Siegrist
Marion Wenty wrote
...Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?...
I had trouble with this for a long time. I tried several different programs, but couldn't get any to work properly—they were either too complicated or broken. I recently started using Notepad++ with NppToR. Everything works fine, and it is easy enough for beginners to use.

Notepad++ is a free editor.

There is a download called NppToR, which runs down in the notification area of the toolbar in Windows. This will allow you to send code directly to the R console from the text editor using a keyboard shortcut, and to have your text color-coded for R.

I would recommend starting with this. If, after a few years, you find yourself limited by this setup, then you can think about things like emacs.

mnr

R: open source editor for r for beginners

mnr
Maybe you can use Rcmdr
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/
It is a very easy program.

> ...Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?...

I had trouble with this for a long time. I tried several different programs,
but couldn't get any to work properly—they were either too complicated or
broken. I recently started using Notepad++ with NppToR. Everything works
fine, and it is easy enough for beginners to use.

Notepad++ is a free editor.

There is a download called NppToR, which runs down in the notification area
of the toolbar in Windows. This will allow you to send code directly to the
R console from the text editor using a keyboard shortcut, and to have your
text color-coded for R.

I would recommend starting with this. If, after a few years, you find
yourself limited by this setup, then you can think about things like emacs.

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Steve Lianoglou-6
I just wanted to second Rstudio:

http://rstudio.org/

Honestly, try this first -- it's an easy install, it just works, and
there's no real learning curve to the editor itself.  Very n00b
friendly.

-steve

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM, R. Michael Weylandt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> RStudio
>

> Hope this helps,
> Michael Weylandt
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Marion Wenty <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the normal
>> editor that is included in the program.
>>
>> I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
>> programming.
>>
>> Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Marion

Steve Lianoglou

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Ken Hutchison
Rstudio and Rcmdr are very popular and for good reason, find a good book
while the latter is installing though.
 IF you are using linux, rkward is fantastic to woRk with.
           Ken Hutchison

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Steve Lianoglou <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just wanted to second Rstudio:
>
> http://rstudio.org/
>
> Honestly, try this first -- it's an easy install, it just works, and
> there's no real learning curve to the editor itself.  Very n00b
> friendly.
>
> -steve
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM, R. Michael Weylandt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > RStudio
> >

> > Hope this helps,
> > Michael Weylandt
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Marion Wenty <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I am looking for an editor for R which has got functions beyond the
> normal
> >> editor that is included in the program.
> >>
> >> I had a look at VIM but I think it's difficult if you are just starting
> >> programming.
> >>
> >> Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help.
> >>
> >> Marion
> >>
> >>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> >        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> Steve Lianoglou
>  | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Re: open source editor for r for beginners

Marion Wenty
dear users,
sorry for the late reply! thank you all very much for your input.
i think for now i will try rstudio which was recommended most and later on i
will start learning vim or emacs.
it was very interesting to read about your experiences. thanx!
marion