package not available for R version...

R help mailing list-2
Dear R-experts,

I have tried to reach the maintainer of the rgam package. Until now, no response.
Since I'm in a bit of a hurry, I try to reach you because as I try to install the rgam package using the command :

install.packages("rgam")

I get this warning message :

Warning message:

package ‘rgam’ is not available (for R version 3.6.3)

The strange thing is that rgam depends R (>= 3.0.2) , stats

How can I solve this problem ?

Re: package not available for R version...

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 12/01/2021 2:43 p.m., varin sacha via R-help wrote:

> Dear R-experts,
>
> I have tried to reach the maintainer of the rgam package. Until now, no response.
> Since I'm in a bit of a hurry, I try to reach you because as I try to install the rgam package using the command :
>
> install.packages("rgam")
>
> I get this warning message :
>
> Warning message:
>
> package ‘rgam’ is not available (for R version 3.6.3)
>
> The strange thing is that rgam depends R (>= 3.0.2) , stats
>
> How can I solve this problem ?

That package is no longer listed on CRAN.  You can find some versions of
it in https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive, the most recent
being from 2018.  I'd guess it doesn't pass all checks, so it was removed.

You could download the last version, and see if you can get it to work.
  If you are really ambitious, you might be able to take it over as
maintainer.

Or it might be easier to find a different package to do what you want to do.

Re: package not available for R version...

aBBy Spurdle, ⍺XY
It's not clear from your post why you're trying to contact the maintainer.
But it gives the impression you're trying to contact the maintainer,
of an archived package, because you can't install the package.
It's not their responsibility to respond to these kinds of questions.

Also, I note the most obvious choice for GAM-based models in R, is
mgcv, which ships with R.
But there are other packages, if mgcv doesn't meet your needs.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:44 AM varin sacha via R-help
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R-experts,
>
> I have tried to reach the maintainer of the rgam package. Until now, no response.
> Since I'm in a bit of a hurry, I try to reach you because as I try to install the rgam package using the command :
>
> install.packages("rgam")
>
> I get this warning message :
>
> Warning message:
>
> package ‘rgam’ is not available (for R version 3.6.3)
>
> The strange thing is that rgam depends R (>= 3.0.2) , stats
>
> How can I solve this problem ?
>
> Best,

Re: package not available for R version...

Caitlin Gibbons
Hi.

Can you upgrade your version of R? That might help.

~Caitlin

> On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:08 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/01/2021 2:43 p.m., varin sacha via R-help wrote:
>> Dear R-experts,
>> I have tried to reach the maintainer of the rgam package. Until now, no response.
>> Since I'm in a bit of a hurry, I try to reach you because as I try to install the rgam package using the command :
>> install.packages("rgam")
>> I get this warning message :
>> Warning message:
>> package ‘rgam’ is not available (for R version 3.6.3)
>> The strange thing is that rgam depends R (>= 3.0.2) , stats
>> How can I solve this problem ?
>
> That package is no longer listed on CRAN.  You can find some versions of it in https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive, the most recent being from 2018.  I'd guess it doesn't pass all checks, so it was removed.
>
> You could download the last version, and see if you can get it to work.  If you are really ambitious, you might be able to take it over as maintainer.
>
> Or it might be easier to find a different package to do what you want to do.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Re: package not available for R version...

R help mailing list-2

Yes, I don't really know what the maintainer will answer to me. Except that rgam is no longer on CRAN, that I already know !
However, I know mgcv and "classical" GAM model but GAMs can be very sensitive to the presence of a small proportion of observations that deviate from the assumed model, so I was looking for a more robust/resistant GAM. I know the robustgam package but I prefered the rgam (more intuitive to me).
However, I have finished by fitting a robust gam using robustgam package. So everything is OK.

Best,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R-experts,
>
> I have tried to reach the maintainer of the rgam package. Until now, no response.
> Since I'm in a bit of a hurry, I try to reach you because as I try to install the rgam package using the command :
>
> install.packages("rgam")
>
> I get this warning message :
>
> Warning message:
>
> package ‘rgam’ is not available (for R version 3.6.3)
>
> The strange thing is that rgam depends R (>= 3.0.2) , stats
>
> How can I solve this problem ?
>
> Best,

Re: package not available for R version...

R help mailing list-2

Yes, I can but I don't know if it will solve my problem. I will give an attempt !

Best,